1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parallel Axis Theorem and sheet of metal

1. Dec 6, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A thin, rectangular sheet of metal has a mass M and sides of length a and b. Use the parallel-axis theorem to calculate the moment of inertia of the sheet for an axis that is perpendicular to the plane of the sheet that passes through one corner of the sheet
    2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I'm not really sure what axis the problem is saying that the sheet will be rotating around I know the answer is 1/3M(a^2 + b^2) because this is an odd problem in my book, but I'm not sure how to go about it. I know the parallel axis theorem is I = Icm +Md^2

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 6, 2007 #2

CompuChip

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just try step by step to find all the ingredients to apply the parallel axis theorem.
    Like: what is Icm? What is it in this case? Can you look it up, or calculate it?
    Then, what is d (draw a picture, and then try to get a formula from that)?

4. Dec 6, 2007 #3
    i was thinking that the Icm was 1/3Ma^2 the distance i'm not sure about because im not sure hwat axis it is rotating about

5. Dec 7, 2007 #4
  6. Dec 7, 2007 #5

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

No. Look up the rotational inertia of a rectangular sheet.
    Pick any corner. The distance from the cm will be the same.

7. Jan 6, 2010 #6
    For rectangular sheet
    I[CM]=(1/12)M(a^2+b^2)

I(corner) means parallel to x axis or y axis.

I=I[x]+Md^2
    I=(1/12)Mb^2+M(b/2)^2=(1/3)Mb^2

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?