1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parallel Plate Capacitor and distance

1. Mar 29, 2006 #1
    I'm going through my book and one of the Example exercises has the following problem:
    Two plates, each of area 3X10^-4 m^2 are used to construc a parallel-plate capacitor with capacitance 1 pF. (a) Find the necessary seperation distance.

Seems pretty obvious right? C = Eo(A/d)
    So, I figure I'm finding d = C/(Eo)(A)
    but it doesn't come out right, so I must be missing something either in my math (not surprising) or the area. Do I need to do a calculation with the area? Like 2 X A? That doesn't work either, and it doesn't seem right to do it that way. Help, please?? :yuck:
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 29, 2006 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Its just your manipulation which is letting you down. It should be;

[tex]C = \frac{E_{0}A}{d}[/tex]
    [tex]C \cdot d = E_{0}\cdot {A}[/tex]
    [tex]d = \frac{E_{0}A}{C}[/tex]

4. Mar 29, 2006 #3

You are awesome!! Thank you!!

5. Mar 29, 2006 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If you are assume the dielectric is air (k ~ 1) and [itex] \epsilon_o = 8.854 x 10^{-12}[/itex] F/m, you may get d = 2.656 mm. A more general formula for this type question may be found here.
    In agreement with Hoot, i noticed the same fault in rearranging your equation. It is a good idea to do a couple of things to double check maths. One is to do the algebra step by step, the other is to do a quick dimensional analysis of the final equation. In your case, you have A left in the denominator. The only way that would work and have answer come out in meters is to have [itex]m^3[/itex] in the numerator, which you don't have.
  6. Mar 29, 2006 #5
    Wow. Thank you, that is most helpful. The link is terrific. Again, thank you!
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?