Parallel resistance and heat problem

In summary, the question is asking whether replacing a 60W bulb with a 100W bulb in a parallel circuit with a heater will increase, decrease, or maintain the rate of heat produced. Since the voltage and resistance of the heater remain the same regardless of the bulb, the rate of heat produced will also remain the same.
KauGan

Homework Statement

A heater joined in parallel with a 60W bulb is connected to the mains. If 60W bulb is replaced by a 100W bulb, will the rate of heat produced be more/less/remain the same ?

Potential Difference = 220V

Homework Equations

H= VIt = I^2Rt = V^2*t/R
P= VI

The Attempt at a Solution

R= (V^2/P)
= 48400/60
=806.6 ohms

R = V^2/P
= 48400/100
= 484 ohms

I=V/R
= 220/806.6
= 0.27 A
I = V/R
= 220/484
= 0.45 A

I am stuck here. I noticed that it is given 'rate of heat' which is rate of energy which is again nothing but power.
I don't know what I'm finding in the problem.:confused:
How do I calculate the rate of heat of the heater in parallel with the bulb ?
Has parallel connection of the bulb and heater anything to do with the problem, or is it just to confuse us?

Physics news on Phys.org
You must first decide if the question is asking about the heat generated by the heater or by the total system (heater plus bulb).

H = v^2*t/R.

In parallel combination, V is the same for all components. So by connecting 60 W bulb or 100W bulb will not change the resistance of the heater or the voltage across. So H remains the same.

What is parallel resistance?

Parallel resistance refers to the combined resistance of multiple electrical components that are connected side by side, allowing current to have multiple pathways to flow.

How is the combined resistance of parallel components calculated?

The combined resistance of parallel components is calculated using the equation 1/Rt = 1/R1 + 1/R2 + ... + 1/Rn, where Rt is the total resistance and R1, R2, etc. are the individual resistances of each component.

What is the relationship between parallel resistance and current?

In a parallel circuit, the current is divided among the parallel components, with each component receiving a fraction of the total current. This means that the total current is greater than the current through any single component.

How does parallel resistance affect the heat dissipation in a circuit?

Parallel resistance can affect the heat dissipation in a circuit, as the total current passing through the circuit increases with more parallel components, leading to a higher amount of heat being generated. This can be a concern for overheating and potential damage to the components.

What are some practical applications of parallel resistance?

Parallel resistance is commonly used in household circuits to power multiple appliances, as well as in industrial and commercial circuits to distribute current and reduce the risk of overloading. It is also used in electronic devices to regulate voltage and prevent overheating of components.