1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Write parametric and symmetric equations for the z-axis.

1. Aug 23, 2008 #1
    Write parametric and symmetric equations for the z-axis.

I'm not sure i am on the right track; here is my attempt to an answer.

[0, 0, z] where z can equal any number.

a = [0, 0, 1]
    b = [0, 0, z]

Parametric equations

x = 0
    y = 0
    z = 1 + tz

Symmetric equations
    [tex]\frac{x - 0}{0}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{y - 0}{0}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{z - 1}{z}[/tex]
    0 = 0 = -1

I'm not certain that my attempt to this question is correct; if anyone can guide me in the right direction if needed i would be grateful!

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 23, 2008 #2

Defennder

Homework Helper

The parametric equations cannot contain the terms x,y,z on the RHS. So z = 1 + tz is not correct. Think in terms of vectors. We want to obtain the equation of a line for the z-axis in vector form: [tex]OP + t\vec{v}[/tex] where v is the direction of the line and OP any point on the line.

For the 2nd one, take notes of the values of x,y along the z-axis.

4. Aug 24, 2008 #3
    so would the parametric equation for z = a_z + tb_z

and for the second one since the values of x and y are always equal to zero on the z-axis; would the symmetric equations be:

x = y = z
    0 = 0 = [tex]\frac{z - a_z}{b_z}[tex]

Thanks

5. Aug 24, 2008 #4

Defennder

Homework Helper

What's a_z and b_z?

6. Aug 24, 2008 #5

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Two points on the z axis are [0, 0, 1] and [0, 0, 2] but certainly not "[0, 0, z]" because z is not a specific number.

7. Aug 25, 2008 #6
    ok so using the points [0,0,1] and [0,0,2] on the z-axis will i get the parametric and symmetric equations as follows:

parametric equations
    x = 0
    y = 0
    z = 1 + 2t

and the symmetric equations

[tex]\frac{x - 0}{0}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{y - 0}{0}[/tex] = [tex]\frac{z - 1}{2}[/tex]
    0 = 0 = [tex]\frac{z - 1}{2}[/tex]

is this anywhere near correct?
    Thanks

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 25, 2008
  8. Aug 25, 2008 #7

Defennder

Homework Helper

Well your parametric equations looks ok, though more complicated than necessary. The Cartesian equations (what you name "symmetric") doesn't appear correct.

9. Aug 25, 2008 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

x= 0, y= 0, z= t describes exactly the same line.

Well, first, (x-0)/0 and (y- 0)/0 are NOT equal to 0! Multiply the entire set of equations by 0.

the "symmetric equations" describing the z axis are x= y= 0.

10. Aug 25, 2008 #9
    Great i think i got it!
    THANKS!! :D

11. Jan 7, 2009 #10
    Im struggling with this problem as well. I got parametric no problem, but I dont quite understand how to put the symmetric equation on paper. Also, I thought that symmetric equation only exists when the denominator does not equal to zero. How exactly would I write out the equation. Thanks

12. Jan 7, 2009 #11

Defennder

Homework Helper

The denominator of what, to be exact? There shouldn't be any denominator equating to 0.

13. Jan 8, 2009 #12

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

If in setting up the formulas "blindly", you get
    [tex]\frac{x- 0}{0}= \frac{y- 0}{0}= \frac{z-1}{2}[/tex]
    Then, because you can't have a "0" denominator, as Defennder said, you must have x-0= 0 and y- 0= 0. Of course, that gives you nothing for the "(z-1)/2" to be equal to so the equations are simply x= y= 0.

14. Jan 8, 2009 #13
    Okay I see. Just to make it clear for me, say you had an example where you symmetric equation was (x-1)/2=(y-2)/3=(z-4)/0 would that mean the final equation is (x-1)/2=(y-2)/3=z?

Thanks again!

15. Jan 9, 2009 #14

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, why would you think so? That contradicts what Defennder and I just said! Because you cannot divide by 0, you must have z-4= 0 or z= 4. The equations for the line are (x-1)/2= (y-2)/3 and z= 4. Taking the joint value of (x-1)/2 and (y-2)/3 as t, that would correspond to parametric equations x= 1+ 2t, y= 2+ 3t, z= 4.

16. Jan 9, 2009 #15
    Indeed it does! haha. I wrote that comment around 1am..just about time my brains stopped working haha. I understand what you mean. Thanks for you help guys! I can see clearly now!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?