1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parametric equation true/false

1. Mar 25, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

(a) The parametric curve x = (3t + 4)2, y = (3t + 4)2 - 9 for 0 t 3 is a line segment.
    (b) A parameterization of the graph of y = lnx for x > 0 is given by x = et, y = t for - < t < .
    (c) The line parameterized by x = 8, y = 5t, z = 6 + t is parallel to the x-axis.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

a. false
    b. true
    c. true

Is my answer correct? If its false can someone help me to explain why

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 26, 2009 #2
    You should provide the reasoning behind your answers.

4. Mar 26, 2009 #3
    for part a, it's just a mere guess as I see a ^2 there, so I thought it wouldn't be a line
    for part b I think because when you plugged in the graph you get the same
    for part c, the two lines aren't multiples of each other... 5j + k and 1i

5. Jun 9, 2011 #4
    was your answer correct?

6. Jun 9, 2011 #5

Char. Limit

Gold Member

For equation 1, try finding an equation for y in terms of x. It should be pretty easy. Then you'll easily see whether it's a line or not.

7. Jun 10, 2011 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Actually, the way you wrote it, there is NO "^2".
    A way of seeing that it is not a line is to choose three values of t giving three points on the graph. Find the slopes between two pairs of points. If they are not the same, it is not a line.

That sentence doesn't make sense to me. How do "plug in" a graph? And what does "the same" refer to?

Because the "two lines aren't multiples of each other", you say the line is parallel to the x-axis?

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook