Paraview unable to read one stl file but IS able to read another: why?

  • Thread starter Thread starter member 428835
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    File
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
member 428835
Hi PF!

I made an .STL file and am trying to open it with Paraview. When I toggle "open" on the Paraview drop-down menu, I don't see the file (but it is there, since my terminal shows it).

However, when I look for a different .stl file (one downloaded from an OpenFOAM tutorial) I can open it.

When looking at the properties of each, I notice two things: the .stl file I made is all caps STL rather than stl. The other difference is mine has 100,000 bytes where the one from the tutorial has 337 bytes. Would these differences mean Paraview is unable to even see the file through its open menu?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
joshmccraney said:
the .stl file I made is all caps STL rather than stl
What happens if you change it to lower case .stl?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: member 428835
pbuk said:
What happens if you change it to lower case .stl?
:headbang::headbang::headbang: ...I'm not even going to say it...but thanks!
 
  • Haha
Likes   Reactions: Tom.G and pbuk
Under certain operating systems, such as Unix (Linux), the case of letters in filenames matters. For example, you could have the two files mytext.txt and Mytext.txt coexisting in the same directory.

The file browser in Paraview is probably also case-sensitive, such that a file will the extension .STL will not be recognized as a file that can be opened by Paraview, and hence is not shown.