Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Parellel hybrid,how does the power of the ICE get heterodyned?

1. Feb 15, 2014 #1
    Attached you will find a parellel hybrid design of a Porsche Cayenne hybrid.

From what I understand,its the ICE(combustion engine) that is finally delivering power to the differentials.This power is 'substantiated' by power delivered from an electric motor.As you can see from the diagram,the motor is connected at the output end of the ICE via a double clutch. This is where I get confused: If I do want to add-up power by switching my motor into operation,my O/P end of the shaft would spin faster.Won't this effect the functioning of the ICE? i.e the piston velocity will increase considerably. This would mean I have lesser time to combust=>lesser power.

So,how does the motor power get heterodyned with the power from the ICE?

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 15, 2014 #2
    I'm not sure I understand you correctly.

you say it is parallel hybrid. I assume that car can be powered by combustion engine OR electric motor (or both).
    so:
    1) car is powered only by ICE.
    2) car is powered only by electricity. you disconnect the double clutch between ICE and motor, shut or idle the engine, and use only electric motor to power the transmission / wheels
    3) car is powered by booth ICE and motor. from ICE standpoint there would be just less work to do. quite similar to driving downhill. electronics will close the throttle body a bit (if it is petrol) and injects less fuel.
    ICE and el. motor will have to be in same rev range so the el. motor wont turn the ICE to too high revs.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook