Parenthood is like being a heroin addict?

• Thread starter BobG
  • Start date
In summary, Daniel Gilbert does an article on fatherhood in anticipation of Father's Day in Time Magazine. He makes an interesting comparison between parenthood and being addicted to heroin and says that most of the time, being a parent only makes people a little more unhappy, but the few good experiences make a person really, really happy. He also says that if a person is older than that, or does have kids, they need to get some professional help to get a grip on life.
BobG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Daniel Gilbert does an article on fatherhood in anticipation of Father's Day in Time Magazine (http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,1202940,00.html).

He makes an interesting comparison between parenthood and being addicted to heroin.

Parenthood generally makes people more unhappy most of the time. It's just that day to day parenting only makes you a little more unhappy, while the few good experiences make a person really, really happy - kind of like how being a heroin addict is generally an unhappy experience, but the pleasurable rush of heroin makes an addict forget about his general level of unhappiness.

A few extreme pleasures or miseries stick in a person's mind a lot better than a dull low-level unhappiness.

People are generally willing to pay dearly for things that bring happiness. Sometimes, that instinct gets reversed and people believe paying dear prices makes a thing more pleasurable.

And, most of all, just like the pursuit of more heroin tends to eliminate all other interests of the heroin addict, parenting is so time consuming that the saying "My children are my greatest joy" becomes self-fulfilling. Of course it's their only joy - parents don't have time to pursue any other joys!

By the way, I don't personally agree with Gilbert. My kids bring me more joy than anything else I've ever experienced in life. But then again, I've never tried heroin yet.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Daniel Gilbert, is a head case i would love to have more kids, but i can not find a nanny :grumpy:

Gilbert sounds like some young pup without kids who is just at that age where he's resenting that he can no longer call up his friends at a moment's notice to do something crazy because they're all married with kids. I think it's a normal reaction for single people to look at everyone married with kids around you and wonder what's the point when they never seem to have any time to go out and have fun anymore. But, it's just that their idea of fun has changed, and yours hasn't. Once the kids are past the clingy toddler stage, can be left with a babysitter once in a while, and don't require packing 3 changes of clothes, 10 diapers, and who knows what else for an hour long visit to grandma's, parents start getting out more again.

If he's older than that, or does have kids, then he needs to get some professional help to get a grip on life.

Moonbear said:
Gilbert sounds like some young pup without kids who is just at that age where he's resenting that he can no longer call up his friends at a moment's notice to do something crazy because they're all married with kids. I think it's a normal reaction for single people to look at everyone married with kids around you and wonder what's the point when they never seem to have any time to go out and have fun anymore. But, it's just that their idea of fun has changed, and yours hasn't. Once the kids are past the clingy toddler stage, can be left with a babysitter once in a while, and don't require packing 3 changes of clothes, 10 diapers, and who knows what else for an hour long visit to grandma's, parents start getting out more again.

If he's older than that, or does have kids, then he needs to get some professional help to get a grip on life.
He's a professor of psychology at Harvard. However, as an author, he does have a monetary motivation to be provocative and witty. http://www.randomhouse.com/knopf/catalog/display.pperl?isbn=9781400042661

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know about the comparison to heroin addiction, but it's true that children can become the center of their parent's lives.

That's probably a good thing on the whole since neglected children tend to end up badly. I know a lot of teens whose parents show little interest in them and the kids are into everything people shouldn't be into, especially drugs.

I have mixed feeling about all of this. Suffice it to say that not everyone should be a parent.

1. How is parenthood like being a heroin addict?

Parenthood and heroin addiction may seem like two very different things, but there are some similarities. Both involve intense highs and lows, a constant need for more, and a feeling of being consumed by something beyond your control.

2. What are some of the challenges of parenthood that are similar to being addicted to heroin?

Both parenthood and heroin addiction can be physically, emotionally, and financially draining. They also require a significant amount of time and energy, and can be all-consuming, leaving little room for other aspects of life.

3. Is the comparison between parenthood and heroin addiction meant to be taken literally?

No, the comparison is not meant to be taken literally, but rather to highlight the intense and often overwhelming nature of parenthood. It is not meant to diminish the struggles of those who are actually addicted to heroin.

4. Are there any positive aspects of parenthood that can be compared to being addicted to heroin?

While the overall comparison between parenthood and heroin addiction is not necessarily positive, there are certainly aspects of both that can bring joy and fulfillment. For example, the love and bond between a parent and child can be incredibly powerful and rewarding.

5. What is the main takeaway from this comparison between parenthood and heroin addiction?

The main takeaway is that parenthood, like any major life commitment, comes with its own set of challenges and sacrifices. It requires a significant amount of love, dedication, and resilience to navigate, but can also bring immense joy and fulfillment. The comparison to heroin addiction is meant to emphasize the intensity of these challenges, but should not be taken too literally.