Parenthsis operator for sets or probability

In summary, the parenthesis operator is used in sets or probability to indicate the grouping of elements or events and clarify the order of operations. In set theory, it denotes the elements of a specific subset within a larger set. Its placement can change the outcome of a probability calculation. It is not necessary in all mathematical expressions but can be used in other branches of science to indicate the order of operations or grouping of elements.
mkommar
It's been more than a couple of years since my formal math classes and I ran across this document:
http://sysbio.oxfordjournals.org/content/45/3/380.full.pdf

The problem I'm having is that I can't seem to remember what the parenthetical operator does in equation 16.

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org

Related to Parenthsis operator for sets or probability

1. What is the purpose of the parenthesis operator in sets or probability?

The parenthesis operator in sets or probability is used to indicate the grouping of elements within a set or the probability of an event occurring. It helps to clarify the order of operations and can be used to create more complex expressions.

2. How is the parenthesis operator used in set theory?

In set theory, the parenthesis operator is used to denote the elements that belong to a specific subset within a larger set. For example, (A ∪ B) ∩ C would indicate the intersection of the sets A and B, followed by the union of that result with the set C.

3. Can the parenthesis operator change the outcome of a probability calculation?

Yes, the placement of parenthesis in a probability calculation can change the outcome. For example, (P(A) + P(B)) means the probability of either event A or event B occurring, whereas P(A + B) would indicate the probability of both events A and B occurring simultaneously.

4. Is the parenthesis operator necessary in all mathematical expressions?

No, the parenthesis operator is not necessary in all mathematical expressions. It is typically used to clarify the order of operations or to group elements within a set or probability calculation. However, in some cases, it may not change the outcome if omitted.

5. Can the parenthesis operator be used in other branches of science?

Yes, the parenthesis operator can be used in other branches of science, such as physics, chemistry, and biology. It is a common tool in mathematical notation and can be applied to various equations and formulas to indicate the order of operations or grouping of elements.