1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

<p> Operator on Probability Density in X-Space

1. Oct 29, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Consider a particle whose wave function is:

[tex]\Psi(x)=\left\{\begin{array}{ccc}
    2\alpha^{3/2}xe^{-\alpha x} & \text{if} & x> 0\\
    0 & \text{if} & x\leq 0
    \end{array}\right.[/tex]

Calculate <p> using the [tex]\hat{p}[/tex] operator on probability density in x space.

2. Relevant equations

[tex]\hat{p}=-i \hbar \frac{\partial}{\partial x}[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I'm pretty sure I'm missing something, I figured since you take the derivative then do the integral, they will "cancel" each other, then you can just evaluate -ih|Psi|^2 from 0 to infinity, in which case you get 0. Here is my work:

[tex]<p> =\int_{0}^{\infty}\hat{p}|\Psi(x)|^{2}dx=\int_{0}^{\infty}-i \hbar 4\alpha^{3} \frac{\partial}{\partial x} x^{2} e^{-2 \alpha x}dx=-i \hbar 4\alpha^{3}\int_{0}^{\infty}\frac{\partial}{\partial x} x^{2} e^{-2 \alpha x}dx [/tex]

Then when you take the derivative, then integrate it over that range:

[tex]=-i \hbar 4\alpha^{3} x^{2} e^{-2 \alpha x}|_{0}^{\infty}=0[/tex]

And when you evaluate this it goes to 0, did I do something wrong? TBH, I did miss this lecture, and unfortunately my professor forgot to record it like he usually does, so I had to take notes from his PowerPoint, as well as a friend. If it matters, I have already found <p>, but only after I did the Fourier Transform from the position space. It turned out to be:

[tex]<p> =\frac{-\alpha \hbar}{3\pi}[/tex]

If I did it correctly. So can anyone give me insight on what I did wrong? Any help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2013 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

$$\langle \hat{p}\rangle = \int_0^\infty \psi^\star (x)\hat{p}\psi (x) dx$$ ... spot the difference.

4. Oct 29, 2013 #3
    Oh, I see my problem, thank you, so I need to apply the p operator to psi before multiplying by the conjugate?

5. Oct 29, 2013 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

That's the one - the relation you used only works for operators like position.
    In general, the operator goes in between the wavefunctions.

In Dirac notation: <Q>=<ψ|Q|ψ>

6. Oct 29, 2013 #5

vanhees71

Science Advisor
    2016 Award

Yes, and the complete derivation is as follows
    [tex]\langle A \rangle =\langle \psi|\mathbf{A}| \psi \rangle= \int_{\mathbb{R}} \mathrm{d} x \langle \psi|x \rangle \langle x|\mathbf{A}|\psi \rangle = \int_{\mathbb{R}} \mathrm{d} x \; \psi^*(x) \hat{A} \psi(x).[/tex]
    Note that there is a subtle difference in my use of symbols. While [itex]\mathbf{A}[/itex] is the operator representing the observable [itex]A[/itex] in abstract (basis independent) Hilbert space, [itex]\hat{A}[/itex] denotes the representation of the operator in position representation. Your equation for [itex]\hat{p}[/itex] is of course correct.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted