Parents' ideas of jobs and where they are, are always wrong

• Thread starter epenguin
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ideas Jobs
In summary, the conversation revolves around the speaker's dilemma in choosing a career path between their passion for mathematics and their parents' expectation for them to become an engineer. They also discuss the potential challenges and rewards in pursuing a career in mathematics or engineering. Ultimately, the speaker acknowledges the influence of their surroundings in making this decision and the importance of considering both their own desires and their family's wishes.
epenguin
Homework Helper
Gold Member
and even where not, should be ignored. At least in case of conflict. Discuss.

In parents' imaginative, somehow at the same time ideal and dismal, worlds there are only engineers, doctors, lawyers and maybe a token economist.

Inspired by posts like this
l-1j-cho said:
Straightforwardly, my parents want me to become an engineer since they can easily get a job. On the contrary, a professor is the only job that a mathematician can get. But I want to pursue my career in mathematics, especially the number theory, since life is once and I think one should do whatever he loves to do for his career. I am a high school student. How does mathematics career look like?

I would not even stand too strongly for my own advice on the same thread if anyone has a real revulsion at the other subjects and is unable to see how anyone could be interested in them, even if that is IMHO a bit disqualifyingly narrow-minded. (But it could be a sop for parents).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I am actually in the midst of a conflict in question. I wanted to study math or physics with philosophy minor. Although people will always justify there own choices ignoring my parents (and in my case spouse) advice would be a mistake. I have no evidence I will donate to the field and it's not even sure that after getting a PHd I would get a faculty position.

Studying math would only satisfy my need for knowledge which is great, but will probably will not satisfy my need to take care of my family to be or sense of fulfillment (considering I will probably not donate greatly to the field)

Studying Engineering (Comp. E+Applied Physics) and minoring in math will still satisfy my need for knowledge and will grant me a more lucrative career path will donating 'stuff you can touch' to the world - Hopefully in the green energy field.

I would have not reconsidered and dig deep inside myself to find these reasons without the push from the environment.

Last edited:

1. Why do parents often have unrealistic expectations for their children's future careers?

Parents may have unrealistic expectations for their children's careers because they want their children to have successful and prestigious jobs. This desire may stem from societal pressures or personal beliefs about what constitutes a successful career.

2. How can parents' ideas about jobs and careers impact their children's choices?

Parents' ideas about jobs and careers can have a significant impact on their children's choices. If children feel pressure from their parents to pursue a specific career, they may feel obligated to follow that path, even if it does not align with their interests or passions.

3. What are some common misconceptions that parents have about jobs and career paths?

Some common misconceptions that parents may have about jobs and career paths include the belief that certain careers are more prestigious or financially stable than others, that their child should pursue a career that aligns with their own interests or skills, and that their child's success is directly tied to their job title.

4. How can parents support their children in making informed decisions about their career paths?

Parents can support their children in making informed decisions about their career paths by encouraging them to explore and learn about different job options, discussing their child's interests and strengths, and providing them with resources and guidance. It's essential for parents to listen to their child's preferences and support them in finding a career that aligns with their goals and values.

5. What role do parents play in shaping their children's views on jobs and career paths?

Parents play a significant role in shaping their children's views on jobs and career paths. Their beliefs and expectations can influence their child's perceptions of different careers and what constitutes success. It's crucial for parents to have open and supportive conversations with their children about their career aspirations and to encourage them to pursue their passions and interests.