Parity Transformation of Annihilation Operator

It's all fine now, sorry.In summary, the given operators A and B satisfy a specific equation involving B_n, and the goal is to show that for two other operators P_1 and P_2, the expressions for P_1 a(k) P_1^-1 and P_2 a(k) P_2^-1 equal -i a(k) and i eta_P a(-k), respectively. By calculating B_n and using the properties of the exponential function, it is shown that P_1 a(k) P_1^-1 = -i a(k) and P_2 a(k) P_2^-1 = i eta_P a(-k). Any discrepancies in the derivation were due to incorrect
orentago

Homework Statement

Given that, for operators [tex]A[/tex] and [tex]B[/tex]:

[tex]\mathrm{e}^{\mathrm{i} \alpha A} B \mathrm{e}^{-\mathrm{i} \alpha A} = \sum_{n=0}^{\infinity} {(\mathrm{i}\alpha)^n \over n!} B_n[/tex]

where [tex]B_0 = B[/tex] and [tex]B_n = [A, B_{n-1}][/tex] for n=1,2,...

show that:

[tex]P_1 a(\mathbf{k})P_1^{-1}=\mathrm{i}a(\mathbf{k})[/tex]

and

[tex]P_2 a(\mathbf{k})P_2^{-1}=-\mathrm{i}\eta_P a(-\mathbf{k})[/tex]

Where:

[tex]P_1=\exp\left[-\mathrm{i} {\pi \over 2} \sum_{\mathbf{k}} a^\dagger (\mathbf{k}) a(\mathbf{k})\right][/tex]

and

[tex]P_2=\exp\left[\mathrm{i} {\pi \over 2} \eta_P \sum_{\mathbf{k}} a^\dagger (\mathbf{k}) a(\mathbf{-k})\right][/tex]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

First start by calculating [tex]B_1[/tex]. From the question it is apparent that for [tex]P_1[/tex], [tex]B_0 = B = a(\mathrm{k})[/tex] and [tex]\alpha=-{\pi \over 2}[/tex], with [tex]A=\sum_{\mathbf{k}} a^\dagger (\mathbf{k}) a(\mathbf{k})[/tex].

Hence:

[tex]B_1=[A,B_0]=\left[\sum_{\mathbf{k}} a^\dagger (\mathbf{k}) a(\mathbf{k}), a(\mathbf{k'}) \right]=\sum_{\mathbf{k}} [a^\dagger (\mathbf{k}) a(\mathbf{k}), a(\mathbf{k'})][/tex]
[tex]=\sum_{\mathbf{k}} a^\dagger (\mathbf{k}) [a(\mathbf{k}), a(\mathbf{k'})]+\sum_{\mathbf{k}} [a^\dagger (\mathbf{k}), a(\mathbf{k'})] a(\mathbf{k})=\sum_{\mathbf{k}} \delta_{\mathbf{kk'}} a(\mathbf{k})=a(\mathbf{k'})[/tex]

Since [tex]B_0=B_1[/tex], it is evident that all [tex]B_n=B=a(\mathbf{k})[/tex]

Hence substituting this and the value for alpha into the summation over n, above, and using the fact that this summation is now simply the expansion of the exponential function, one obtains:

[tex]\sum_{n=0}^{\infinity} {(-\mathrm{i} \pi / 2)^n \over n!} a(\mathbf{k}) = \mathrm{e}^{-\mathrm{i} \pi / 2} a(\mathbf{k})= -\mathrm{i} a(\mathbf{k})[/tex]

I could add a similar derivation for [tex]P_2[/tex], but it's practically the same so I won't. What I'd like to know is how I've picked up a minus sign in my derivation, and so have not obtained the same answer as the question gives.

Any ideas?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ah no, problem solved. I evaluated my commutators wrongly (they should be the negative of the Kronecker delta, not the positive).

1. What is the Parity Transformation of Annihilation Operator?

The Parity Transformation of Annihilation Operator is a mathematical operation that changes the sign of the spatial coordinates of a particle in a quantum system. It is represented by the operator P and is used to study the symmetry properties of a system under spatial inversion.

2. How does the Parity Transformation affect a quantum system?

The Parity Transformation affects a quantum system by changing the sign of the wave function, which ultimately changes the probability of finding a particle in a specific location. It also changes the sign of the momentum, spin, and angular momentum of the particle.

3. What is the importance of the Parity Transformation in quantum mechanics?

The Parity Transformation is important in quantum mechanics because it helps us understand the symmetry properties of a system. It also plays a crucial role in determining the selection rules for allowed transitions in quantum systems.

4. How is the Parity Transformation related to the concept of parity?

The Parity Transformation is related to the concept of parity, which refers to the inversion of spatial coordinates in a system. The Parity operator P is used to represent this transformation and is an important tool in studying the symmetry of a system.

5. Can the Parity Transformation be applied to all quantum systems?

No, the Parity Transformation cannot be applied to all quantum systems. It is only applicable in systems where the Hamiltonian (the operator that describes the energy of a system) is invariant under a spatial inversion. In other words, the Parity operator and the Hamiltonian must commute for the transformation to be valid.