Is it possible the decay of rho neutral meson to two pions?

In summary, the question poses whether the decay of a neutral rho meson into two pions is possible. The conservation laws of energy, momentum, angular momentum, electric charge, C-parity, parity, isospin, and CP symmetry are all applicable in this process. The properties of the particles involved in the reaction are the neutral rho meson and two pions, each with different spin and parity values. However, in order to conserve angular momentum, the orbital angular momentum of the particles must also be taken into account. Without knowing the specific values of the orbital angular momentum of the initial and final particles, it is not possible to determine whether the decay is possible.
jonjacson
¿Is it possible the decay of rho neutral meson to two pions?

Homework Statement

We initially have the neutral rho meson -----> pion+ + pion-

¿Is this reaction possible? ¿What are the conserved quantities?¿Which is the interaction involved in the process?

Homework Equations

Conservation laws of energy, momentum, angular momentum, electric charge, C-parity, parity,Isospin, cp symmetry.

Here we have the properties of the involved particles:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rho_meson

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pion

The Attempt at a Solution

Well i am using the book of yung kuo "Problems and solutions in atomic, nuclear and particle physics", it is the 3018 problem.

The book says that the decay is possible, by strong interaction, and that means that every symmetry is conserved, there isn't any violation.

The problem is the next:

-for the angular momentum i have found that for the rho meson is 1, and for the pions + and - is 0.

So we have 1---->0 + 0, the composition of angular momentum says that in the second part of the equality is not possible to find J=1, so I think that conservation of angular momentun is violated ¿what am I doing wrong?.

-for the parity we have (-1 of the rho) -----> (-1 of the pion+ and -1 of the pion-)

So multipliying we have -1 = 1 so it is violated, I think that perhaps the mistake is that the parity of the pion- is oppossite to the parity of his antiparticle(pion+), but it is not listed on the table of the wikipedia ¿is this the mistake?.

¿The parity of an antiparticle is the same as the one of the original particle? .

-for the C-parity we have that the rho meson has a -1, but for the pions is not defined ¿is it violated?.

Physics news on Phys.org

Don't forget the pions can have relative orbital angular momentum.

Also, this page will probably help you figure out what's going on wrt charge parity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_parity

vela said:
Don't forget the pions can have relative orbital angular momentum.

Also, this page will probably help you figure out what's going on wrt charge parity.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_parity

Yes, i know. The total parity, is multiplicative, intrinsic parity must be multiplied by (-1) times the angular momentum, but the problem statement does not say anything about the orbital angular momentum, so I made the calculations considering only internal properties.

¿Do you consider that it is a mistake?.

Thanks for the answer.:smile:

Yes, it's a mistake. You already noted that if you only consider the spins, you can't conserve angular momentum. You have to include orbital angular momentum in your analysis.

The problem to me is the next, the formula of the parity of a meson is:

Pm= Pa*Pb* (-1)L=(-1)L+1

¿What is the value of L?

The problem statement does not say anything about the orbital angular momentum of the final particles ¿how can i find out its value?. I am completely lost at this point ¿should I invent the L values :biggrin: ?

Use conservation of angular momentum.

vela said:
Use conservation of angular momentum.

Ok.

For the rho meson J=L+S, with S=1, for the pion+ J=L (because S=0, and L is the orbital angular momentum of one pion over the other).

But I don't know if the rho meson is in a excited state, so I don't know his L.

And I don't know, another time, what is the final L value so I think that it is undetermined :frown:

I guess that something fails with this reasoning, but I don't know what is it.

1. Can a rho neutral meson decay into two pions?

Yes, it is possible for a rho neutral meson to decay into two pions. This type of decay is known as the "rho to pion pion decay".

2. How does the decay of rho neutral meson to two pions occur?

The decay of rho neutral meson to two pions occurs through the strong interaction. This interaction is responsible for binding quarks together to form hadrons, such as the rho neutral meson.

3. What is the significance of the decay of rho neutral meson to two pions?

The decay of rho neutral meson to two pions is significant because it provides important information about the strong interaction and the structure of hadrons. It also helps to confirm the predictions of the Standard Model of particle physics.

4. How is the decay of rho neutral meson to two pions studied?

The decay of rho neutral meson to two pions is studied through high energy particle collisions, such as those at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC). Scientists use detectors to measure the particles produced in these collisions and analyze their properties to understand the decay process.

5. Are there any other particles that can decay into two pions?

Yes, there are other particles that can decay into two pions, such as the omega meson and the eta meson. These decays provide further insight into the strong interaction and the structure of hadrons.