1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial derivative stationary point

1. Feb 23, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Hi guys, I am having real trouble with the function 10ii) I can take the derivatives, but I feel like I am missing something, with what I have done. I set $f_x=0$and $f_y=0$ but really cant seem to find away to solve, i keep getting (0,0) which when I plug into wolfram it come out with $$x=0,y=-1/2$$, $$x=-1,y=0$$ and $$x=1, y=-2$$
    So this make me think have I done the partial right?

upload_2017-2-23_19-49-18.png

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

$$\frac{\partial}{\partial x}=-2(x^2y-x-1)(2xy-1)-2(x^2-1)(2x)$$
    $$\frac{\partial}{\partial y}=-2(x^2y-x-1)(x^2)$$

$$-2(x^2y-x-1)(2xy-1)-2(x^2-1)(2x)=0$$
    $$-2(x^2y-x-1)(x^2)=0$$

but where do I go from here?

Could someone please give advice, thanks in advance.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 23, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Two hashes (#) to get inline ##\TeX##, two dollars ($) to get displayed math :smile:

Check ##f_x## and ##f_y## (*); once OK, ##f_y## gives you something to substitute in ##f_x=0##

(*) [edit] right, thanks Dick :smile: (I copied the 2 inside the [ ] o:) )

Last edited: Feb 23, 2017
  4. Feb 23, 2017 #3

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The partials look ok. Think about the y derivative first. It's zero if i) x=0 OR y=?. Fill in the ? with an expression in x. Substitute that into the x derivative.

5. Feb 24, 2017 #4

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Not every function of x and y has a stationary point - it is always possible that your function has none.
    In that case you will not be able to find it! But then you have to prove it doesn't exist.
    In this case I think there is a stationary point.
    fy is nicely factorised, which is help. One of the factors is closely related to a bracket in fx which is another help.

Not every condition for one of your derivatives to be 0 necessarily allows the the other to be 0. :oldwink:
    (Though even if it doesn't, your zeros of one of them still gives information about what the surface f looks like)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted