1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Homework Help: Partial derivative - why is it count like this?

1. Dec 19, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    I have John R Taylor "Classical mechanics" part 1, and I have an integral:
    [tex]\int\limits^{x_2}_{x_1}f\left(y+\alpha\eta,y^{\prime}+\alpha\eta^{\prime},x\right)\mbox{d}x[/tex]
    and here is count derivative of underintegral function in [tex]\alpha[/tex]
    [tex]\frac{\partial f\left(y+\alpha\eta,y^{\prime}+\alpha\eta^{\prime},x\right)}{\partial\alpha}=\eta\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}+\eta^{\prime}\frac{\partial f}{\partial y^{\prime}}[/tex]
    why there is suddenly [tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial y^{\prime}}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial y}[/tex], while this derivative is by [tex]\alpha[/tex] - why not only [tex]\eta,\eta^{\prime}[/tex]?
    2. Relevant equations
    I was thinking about function composition derivative, but it didnt helped me.
    3. The attempt at a solution
    Nothing, I couldnt do anything with this, I dont know why this is count like this, please help;] thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 19, 2009 #2
    [tex]f=f(y,y',x)[/tex]

Now if you replace [tex]y=\bar{y}+\alpha\eta[/tex] then y becomes a function of alpha, which means that you have to use the chain rule.

Try choosing an explicit non-linear expression for f if that makes it more clear. For example f(y,y',x) = y2 + y'2

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook