Partial derivatives/ total derivative

In summary, the conversation involves someone seeking help with a mathematical problem involving partial derivatives. The problem involves using the total derivative and the chain rule to show a specific equation. The person has already solved parts (a) and (b) but is struggling with part (c). The conversation ends with the individual solving the problem.
zell99

Homework Statement

I've attactched an image of the question, I hope this is ok, if not let me know and I'll copy it out onto a post,

The Attempt at a Solution

I've done parts (a) and (b) using the total derivative of f ( http://mathworld.wolfram.com/TotalDerivative.html ) but I can't get started on the last part. I've tried differentiating the expressions found in (a) but it doesn't seem to lead anywhere.

A push in the right direction would be appreciated.
Thanks

Attachments

• untitled.JPG
    untitled.JPG
    9 KB · Views: 417
Physics news on Phys.org
You have the definitions. All I can say is "just do it"! You are asked to show that
[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}= u\frac{\partial F}{\partial u}+ v\frac{\partial F}{\partial v}[/tex]
u= excos(y), v= exsin(y) and F(u,v)= f(x,y).

You will need to use the chain rule:
[tex]\frac{\partial f}{\partial x}= \frac{\partial F}{\partial u}\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}+ \frac{\partial F}{\partial v}\frac{\partial v}{\partial x}[/tex]

Thanks for the reply: I've done parts (a) and (b) already, it's the third part I'm struggling with (I can't quite see how your post relates to this bit). I won't post my solutions for these bits unless thay would be helpful, since they are show that... questions.

Last edited:
Just to clarify since my use of 'last part' wasn't particularly precise, it's part (c) I'm struggling with.
Thank you

Solved it.

1. What is the difference between a partial derivative and a total derivative?

A partial derivative measures the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables while holding all other variables constant. A total derivative, on the other hand, measures the overall rate of change of a function with respect to all of its variables. In other words, a partial derivative only considers changes in one variable, while a total derivative considers changes in all variables.

2. How are partial derivatives and total derivatives used in science?

Partial derivatives and total derivatives are commonly used in fields such as physics, economics, and engineering to model and analyze complex systems. They are particularly useful in multivariable calculus, where they can help calculate rates of change and optimize functions to find maximum or minimum values.

3. Can a function have both partial and total derivatives?

Yes, a function can have both partial and total derivatives. In fact, the total derivative is often defined as the sum of all of the partial derivatives of a function. This allows us to consider the overall rate of change of a function while also examining the effects of individual variables.

4. What is the notation used for partial and total derivatives?

Partial derivatives are typically represented by the symbol ∂, while total derivatives are represented by the symbol ∇. For example, the partial derivative of a function f(x,y) with respect to x would be written as ∂f/∂x, while the total derivative would be written as ∇f.

5. How are partial and total derivatives related to gradients and directional derivatives?

Gradients and directional derivatives are closely related to partial and total derivatives. The gradient is a vector that points in the direction of steepest increase of a function, and its magnitude is equal to the total derivative. Directional derivatives, on the other hand, measure the rate of change of a function in a specific direction, and their value is equal to the dot product of the gradient and the unit vector in that direction.