Solve first order partial derivatives

In summary, use the chain rule to find the 1st order partial derivatives of g(s,t)=f(s,u(s,t),v(s,t)) where u(s,t)=st & v(s,t)=s+t, expressed in terms of s & t only. The partial derivatives can be calculated by taking the derivative of the function with respect to each variable while holding the other variables constant.
jimjames

Homework Statement

Use the Chain Rule to find the 1. order partial derivatives of g(s,t)=f(s,u(s,t),v(s,t)) where u(s,t) = st & v(s,t)=s+t
The answer should be expressed in terms of s & t only.

I find the partial derivatives difficult enough and now there is no numbers in the problem, which confused me even more. Hopefully someone here can help me with how to solve this.

Homework Equations

g(s,t)=f(s,u(s,t),v(s,t)) where u(s,t) = st & v(s,t)=s+t

The Attempt at a Solution

(I have no idea what to do with this problem)

Physics news on Phys.org
jimjames said:
(I have no idea what to do with this problem)

Partial derivatives are defined as derivatives of a function of multiple variables when all but the variable of interest are held fixed during the differentiation.
so calculate the partial derivatives with respect to s, and u and v whwere the partial derivative with respect to s will be taken when u.v are lept constant and in turn for the other two.

1. What is a first order partial derivative?

A first order partial derivative is a mathematical concept used in calculus to measure the rate of change of a multivariable function with respect to one of its variables. It represents the slope of the tangent line to the curve of the function in a specific direction.

2. How do you solve a first order partial derivative?

To solve a first order partial derivative, you need to first identify the variable with respect to which the derivative needs to be calculated. Then, you can use the rules of differentiation to find the derivative of the function with respect to that variable. This involves taking the derivative of each term in the function and combining them using the appropriate operations.

3. What is the purpose of solving first order partial derivatives?

The purpose of solving first order partial derivatives is to understand how a multivariable function changes with respect to one of its variables. This can be useful in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics, where understanding the rate of change of a function is crucial.

4. Can you give an example of solving a first order partial derivative?

Sure, let's say we have the function f(x,y) = 3x^2 + 2xy + y^2. To find the partial derivative of f with respect to x, we first take the derivative of each term: fx = 6x + 2y. Therefore, the first order partial derivative of f with respect to x is 6x + 2y.

5. What are some common applications of first order partial derivatives?

First order partial derivatives have various applications in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and statistics. They can be used to optimize functions, determine rates of change, and model real-world systems. For example, in physics, first order partial derivatives are used to calculate the velocity and acceleration of an object in motion.