Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial Differential Equations at university

1. Nov 2, 2011 #1
    Hi guys,

I am a Erasmus student in Vienna. Due to the difference between the plans in my home universtity and Vienna, I have to deal with having to take Parcial differential equations without having done Differential Equations 1 or 2.

In accordance with my university, I should take here Differential Equations 1 and 2, because we have them the same year... but here they have DE 2 in the first semester und DE 1 in the second semester.

I asked for advice to my coordinator and after having discuss with another professor they say me: "yes! the best option to replace Differential Equations 2 (without havind done 1) is Parcial differential equations, you only need some Functional Analysis...." in order take in the second semester DE 1

So, that is what I am trying to do... but I am not a specially good mathematic student... and I having a bad time trying to understand the subject (that indeed it seems to be easy). I just feel like they don't care what I do or don't do... and I am thinking it's my Erasmus year so, I have to know the country, to try to master my German... I am already taking two hard subjects (Abstract Algebra II (Category theory, Sylow theorems, Galois theory...) and Analysis 3) among other 2 (one normal and one easy)...

So my question is: Should I encourage myself to do that? (and if so, what do I need to understand it, can you give me some advice?) or I have been just badly adviced by the professor... so the best I can do is to relax and say goodbye to PDE (for this year)?

Thanks for your answers!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 2, 2011 #2

MathematicalPhysicist

Gold Member

When I did my Bsc, in my second year I took ODE 1+2, and the next year taking alongside PDE 1 also a course in Hilbert Spaces which is basically Functional Analysis 1 if you may.

It's best to learn math gradually, and not making too big jumps with courses, unless you can learn the prequisites by yourself in time.

P.S
    I haven't done your programme, but these courses in undergraduate rarley differ between universities.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook