Partial Differentiation of an expression.

In summary, the question is asking for the partial derivative of z with respect to x, keeping r constant. This can be found using the product rule and simplifying terms, resulting in -2r^2(cos(t)sin(t)). The functions x and y are defined in terms of r and t, and the question does not involve holding r constant. Other partial derivatives, such as z with respect to r and t, can also be calculated using the chain rule.
shadap

Homework Statement

Find the partial of z with respect to x keeping r constant.

Homework Equations

z=x2+y2

x= rcos(t)
y= rsin(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

= r^2(cos(t))^2 + r^2(sin(t))^2

use product rule on "x" and hold r and y constant
= [0(cos(t))^2 + r^2(2cos(t))(-sin(t)))] + 0

simplify terms

= -2r^2(cos(t)sin(t))

I am confused because to hold r constant, does that mean i hold both r and y constant?

thanks

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
shadap said:

Homework Statement

Find the partial of z with respect to x keeping r constant.

Homework Equations

z=x2+y2

x= r cos(t)
y= r sin(t)

The Attempt at a Solution

= r^2(cos(t))^2 + r^2(sin(t))^2

use product rule on "x" and hold r and y constant
= [0(cos(t))^2 + r^2(2cos(t))(-sin(t)))] + 0

simplify terms

= -2r^2(cos(t)sin(t))

I am confused because to hold r constant, does that mean i hold both r and y constant?

thanks

You're given z as a function of x and y, and asked for [tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}[/tex]. The bit about holding r constant seems to be a red herring. To help you out a little, [tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}[/tex] = 2y.

BTW, I corrected the definitions of x and y per your later submission.

Mark44 said:
You're given z as a function of x and y, and asked for [tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}[/tex]. The bit about holding r constant seems to be a red herring. To help you out a little, [tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}[/tex] = 2y.

BTW, I corrected the definitions of x and y per your later submission.

In this case we are holding x constant, but what is happening to r? How can i hold r constant if it is connected to theta? Do I hold theta constant as well?

shadap said:
In this case we are holding x constant, but what is happening to r? How can i hold r constant if it is connected to theta? Do I hold theta constant as well?
It doesn't matter what happens with r and t (your original post gives t, not theta). You have three functions: one with z as a function of x and y, one with x as a function of r and t, and one with y as a function of r and t.

The question you asked was, what is [tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}[/tex]. As a hint, I showed you what [tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}[/tex] was.

You didn't ask, but there are other partial derivatives that could be gotten, namely [tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial r}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial t}[/tex]. As it turns out, both of these partials are zero. For each of these partials, you do have take r and t into consideration, which you do by using a form of the chain rule for partial derivatives.

For the functions you have in this problem,
[tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial t} = \frac{\partial z}{\partial x} * \frac{\partial x}{\partial t} + \frac{\partial z}{\partial y}*\frac{\partial y}{\partial t}
[/tex]

The chain rule form for [tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial r}[/tex] is similar, but involves [tex]\frac{\partial x}{\partial r}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{\partial y}{\partial r}[/tex].

Mark

shadap said:
It doesn't matter what happens with r and t (your original post gives t, not theta). You have three functions: one with z as a function of x and y, one with x as a function of r and t, and one with y as a function of r and t.

The question you asked was, what is [tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}[/tex]. As a hint, I showed you what [tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}[/tex] was.

You didn't ask, but there are other partial derivatives that could be gotten, namely [tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial r}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial t}[/tex]. As it turns out, both of these partials are zero. For each of these partials, you do have to take r and t into consideration, which you do by using a form of the chain rule for partial derivatives.

For the functions you have in this problem,
[tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial t} = \frac{\partial z}{\partial x} * \frac{\partial x}{\partial t} + \frac{\partial z}{\partial y}*\frac{\partial y}{\partial t}
[/tex]

The chain rule form for [tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial r}[/tex] is similar, but involves partials of x and y with respect to r, instead of with respect to t.

Mark

1. What is partial differentiation?

Partial differentiation is a mathematical process used to find the rate of change of a multi-variable function with respect to one of its variables, while keeping all other variables constant. It is typically used in calculus to analyze how a function changes in response to small changes in its input variables.

2. Why is partial differentiation important?

Partial differentiation is important because it allows us to analyze the behavior of functions that have multiple variables. This is particularly useful in many scientific fields, such as physics, economics, and engineering, where complex systems are often described by multi-variable functions.

3. How is partial differentiation different from regular differentiation?

Regular differentiation is used to find the rate of change of a single-variable function with respect to its input variable. Partial differentiation, on the other hand, is used to find the rate of change of a multi-variable function with respect to one of its variables, while keeping all other variables constant. This means that partial differentiation involves taking multiple derivatives, one for each variable, while regular differentiation only involves taking one derivative.

4. What is the notation used for partial differentiation?

The notation used for partial differentiation is similar to that used for regular differentiation, but with a small difference. Instead of using the symbol dy/dx to represent the derivative of y with respect to x, we use the symbol ∂y/∂x to represent the partial derivative of y with respect to x. The symbol ∂ (pronounced "partial") is used to indicate that the derivative is being taken with respect to only one variable, while keeping all others constant.

5. How is partial differentiation used in real-world applications?

Partial differentiation is used in a variety of real-world applications, including physics, economics, and engineering. For example, in physics, it is used to analyze the relationships between multiple variables in complex systems, such as in thermodynamics or fluid mechanics. In economics, it is used to analyze the behavior of supply and demand in markets with multiple variables, such as price and quantity. In engineering, it is used to optimize the design of complex systems by analyzing how different variables affect the overall performance of the system.