1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial Differentiation of an expression.

1. Oct 11, 2008 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Find the partial of z with respect to x keeping r constant.

2. Relevant equations

z=x2+y2

x= rcos(t)
    y= rsin(t)

3. The attempt at a solution

= r^2(cos(t))^2 + r^2(sin(t))^2

use product rule on "x" and hold r and y constant
    = [0(cos(t))^2 + r^2(2cos(t))(-sin(t)))] + 0

simplify terms

= -2r^2(cos(t)sin(t))

I am confused because to hold r constant, does that mean i hold both r and y constant?

thanks

Last edited: Oct 11, 2008
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 11, 2008 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

You're given z as a function of x and y, and asked for [tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}[/tex]. The bit about holding r constant seems to be a red herring. To help you out a little, [tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}[/tex] = 2y.

BTW, I corrected the definitions of x and y per your later submission.

4. Oct 11, 2008 #3
    In this case we are holding x constant, but what is happening to r? How can i hold r constant if it is connected to theta? Do I hold theta constant as well?

5. Oct 12, 2008 #4

Mark44

It doesn't matter what happens with r and t (your original post gives t, not theta). You have three functions: one with z as a function of x and y, one with x as a function of r and t, and one with y as a function of r and t.

The question you asked was, what is [tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}[/tex]. As a hint, I showed you what [tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}[/tex] was.

You didn't ask, but there are other partial derivatives that could be gotten, namely [tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial r}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial t}[/tex]. As it turns out, both of these partials are zero. For each of these partials, you do have take r and t into consideration, which you do by using a form of the chain rule for partial derivatives.

For the functions you have in this problem,
    [tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial t} = \frac{\partial z}{\partial x} * \frac{\partial x}{\partial t} + \frac{\partial z}{\partial y}*\frac{\partial y}{\partial t}
    [/tex]

The chain rule form for [tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial r}[/tex] is similar, but involves [tex]\frac{\partial x}{\partial r}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{\partial y}{\partial r}[/tex].

Mark

6. Oct 12, 2008 #5

Mark44

It doesn't matter what happens with r and t (your original post gives t, not theta). You have three functions: one with z as a function of x and y, one with x as a function of r and t, and one with y as a function of r and t.

The question you asked was, what is [tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}[/tex]. As a hint, I showed you what [tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}[/tex] was.

You didn't ask, but there are other partial derivatives that could be gotten, namely [tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial r}[/tex] and [tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial t}[/tex]. As it turns out, both of these partials are zero. For each of these partials, you do have to take r and t into consideration, which you do by using a form of the chain rule for partial derivatives.

For the functions you have in this problem,
    [tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial t} = \frac{\partial z}{\partial x} * \frac{\partial x}{\partial t} + \frac{\partial z}{\partial y}*\frac{\partial y}{\partial t}
    [/tex]

The chain rule form for [tex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial r}[/tex] is similar, but involves partials of x and y with respect to r, instead of with respect to t.

Mark

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?