Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial differentiation of integral

1. Jun 14, 2015 #1

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

If I have a function

##f(u,u^*) = \int u^* \hat{O} u d^3\mathbf{r}##

both ##u## and ##u^*## are functions of ##\mathbf{r}## where ##\mathbf{r}## position vector, ##\hat{O}## some operation which involves ##\mathbf{r}## (e.g. differentiation), and the star sign denotes complex conjugate. Now I want to find the differential expression for ##f##, namely ##df = \frac{\partial f}{\partial u}du + \frac{\partial f}{\partial u^*}du^*##. I think ##u## and ##u^*## are independent, right? When I have to calculate the partial derivative of ##f## w.r.t. ##u^*##, it seems that I simply need to bring the differentiation inside the integral and differentiate only ##u^*## which gives me

##\int \hat{O} u d^3\mathbf{r}##,

is this also justified? If yes how should I calculate ##\frac{\partial f}{\partial u}##?
    Any help is appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2015 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You are computing what is known as the functional derivative. There is a formal definition given in the wiki, but the subsequent development leads to the chain rule and the practical rule that

$$ \frac{\delta u(\mathbf{r})}{\delta u(\mathbf{r}')} = \delta^3(\mathbf{r}-\mathbf{r}').$$

The derivative of a function by an independent function is zero, e.g., ##\delta u^*(\mathbf{r})/\delta u(\mathbf{r}')=0##.

Applying these to your functional above gives

$$ \frac{\delta f( u,u^*) }{\delta u^*(\mathbf{r})} = \int \delta^3(\mathbf{r}'-\mathbf{r}) \hat{O} u(\mathbf{r}')d^3\mathbf{r}' = \hat{O} u(\mathbf{r}).$$

However

$$ \frac{\delta f( u,u^*) }{\delta u(\mathbf{r})} = \int u^*(\mathbf{r}')\hat{O} \delta^3(\mathbf{r}'-\mathbf{r}) d^3\mathbf{r}' ,$$

where if ##\hat{O}## is a differential operator it will generally act on the delta function, so we can't automatically simplify this. In practice, the function ##u^*## will satisfy some integrability condition so that we can integrate this by parts, deriving an expression where an operator acts on ##u^*## and we can perform the integral using the delta function (without any operator acting on it).

You might want to try this out for some examples where ##\hat{O}## is a gradient or Laplacian to see how it works.

4. Jun 14, 2015 #3

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Thanks that very helpful, but the expression
    doesn't seem to have correctly matched dimensions on both sides, the LHS is dimensionless, while the RHS has a dimension of inverse volume.

5. Jun 14, 2015 #4

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

This is a consequence of the definition of the operation. The operator ##\delta/\delta f## carries units which are the product of the inverse units of ##f## with the units of the inverse volume. You should be able to see this by looking at the rigorous definition that uses the test function ##\phi##.

6. Jun 14, 2015 #5

blue_leaf77

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Alright, I got it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook