Partial Differentiation Question

In summary: Just sub them into the equation and see if it works out.In summary, the notation "x \frac{\partial z}{\partial x}" means x multiplied by the partial derivative of z with respect to x. Using the chain rule, the partial derivatives of z with respect to x and y were found to be -2x(x^2+y^2-1)^{-2} and -2y(x^2+y^2-1)^{-2}, respectively. Substituting these into the given equation, it can be shown that x \frac{\partial z}{\partial x} + y \frac{\partial z}{\partial y} = -2z(1+z).
FaraDazed

Homework Statement

if [itex]z=\frac{1}{x^2+y^2-1} [/itex] . Show that [itex]x \frac{\partial z}{\partial x} + y \frac{\partial z}{\partial y} = -2z(1+z) [/itex]

Homework Equations

n/a

The Attempt at a Solution

I am extremely new to partial differentiation, I can get my head around questions where they just give you the function and ask for the partial wrt to any of the variables but have not come across a problem like this and am a little unsure of the notation, does [itex]x \frac{\partial z}{\partial x} [/itex] litterally mean x multipled with the partial wrt x ?

First what I did was to find the partial derivatives the question asks for so done them below.
[tex]
\frac{\partial z}{\partial x} = \frac{-2}{x^3+y^2-1} \\
\frac{\partial z}{\partial y} = \frac{-2}{x^2+y^3-1} \\
[/tex]

So if it just means x multiplied by... then wouldn't it just become...
[tex]
x \frac{\partial z}{\partial x} = \frac{-2x}{x^3+y^2-1} \\
y \frac{\partial z}{\partial y} = \frac{-2y}{x^2+y^3-1} \\
[/tex]

Or do I need to solve for x and y and substitute that into the above for x and y?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Yes, the notation ##x \frac{\partial z}{\partial x}## means multiply the partial derivative by ##x##. So you have the right idea but you haven't computed ##\partial z/\partial x## or ##\partial z/\partial y## correctly.

FaraDazed said:

Homework Statement

if [itex]z=\frac{1}{x^2+y^2-1} [/itex] . Show that [itex]x \frac{\partial z}{\partial x} + y \frac{\partial z}{\partial y} = -2z(1+z) [/itex]

Homework Equations

n/a

I am extremely new to partial differentiation, I can get my head around questions where they just give you the function and ask for the partial wrt to any of the variables but have not come across a problem like this and am a little unsure of the notation, does [itex]x \frac{\partial z}{\partial x} [/itex] litterally mean x multipled with the partial wrt x ?
Yes, that's all it means.
FaraDazed said:
First what I did was to find the partial derivatives the question asks for so done them below.
[tex]
\frac{\partial z}{\partial y} = \frac{-2}{x^3+y^3-1} \\
[/tex]
Both of the above are wrong. It's easier to use the chain rule with z written as (x2 + y2 - 1)-1.
FaraDazed said:
[tex]
[/tex]

Or do I need to solve for x and y and substitute that into the above for x and y?

FaraDazed said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

n/a

[tex]
\frac{\partial z}{\partial y} = \frac{-2}{x^3+y^3-1} \\
[/tex]

[tex]
[/tex]

The answer to your bolded concern is yes.

Your derivatives look wrong though. Let's find ##\frac{\partial z}{\partial x} = z_x## first.

I suggest you re-write ##z## like so:

$$z = (x^2 + y^2 - 1)^{-1}$$

Now what is ##z_x##? Don't forget the chain rule!

Ah right ok thanks, will try again and post in a minute or so

Ok so using the chain rule for [itex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}[/itex]

if [itex]h=x^2+y^2-1[/itex] and [itex]m=h^{-1} [/itex]

Then
[tex]
h' \cdot m' = 2x \cdot -h^{-2} = -2x(x^2+y^2-1)^{-2}
[/tex]

And for [itex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}[/itex]
[tex]
-2y(x^2+y^2-1)^{-2}
[/tex]

EDIT: Oh and is [itex]z_x[/itex] a short hand notation for [itex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}[/itex] then? As it does get a bit annoying writing them out all the time.

FaraDazed said:
Ok so using the chain rule for [itex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}[/itex]

if [itex]h=x^2+y^2-1[/itex] and [itex]m=h^{-1} [/itex]

Then
[tex]
h' \cdot m' = 2x \cdot -h^{-2} = -2x(x^2+y^2-1)^{-2}
[/tex]

And for [itex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial y}[/itex]
[tex]
-2y(x^2+y^2-1)^{-2}
[/tex]

EDIT: Oh and is [itex]z_x[/itex] a short hand notation for [itex]\frac{\partial z}{\partial x}[/itex] then? As it does get a bit annoying writing them out all the time.

Yes. Your derivatives look okay now too.

1. What is partial differentiation?

Partial differentiation is a mathematical process used to find the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its variables, while holding all other variables constant.

2. When is partial differentiation used?

Partial differentiation is commonly used in multivariable calculus to solve problems involving functions with multiple variables. It is also used in physics and engineering to analyze the behavior of systems with multiple variables.

3. How is partial differentiation different from ordinary differentiation?

Partial differentiation involves finding the rate of change of a function with respect to one variable, while holding all other variables constant. Ordinary differentiation involves finding the rate of change of a function with respect to one variable only.

4. What is the notation for partial differentiation?

In partial differentiation, the notation used is ∂ (pronounced "partial") to represent the partial derivative of a function with respect to a specific variable. For example, ∂f/∂x represents the partial derivative of f with respect to x.

5. Can you provide an example of a partial differentiation question?

Sure. Consider the function f(x,y) = x²y + xy². To find the partial derivative of f with respect to x, we hold y constant and differentiate with respect to x, giving us ∂f/∂x = 2xy + y². To find the partial derivative of f with respect to y, we hold x constant and differentiate with respect to y, giving us ∂f/∂y = x² + 2xy.