1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Partial Fractions - 3 Unknowns

1. May 31, 2014 #1
    Hello,

i've come across a partial fractions problem that I don't know how to solve - Usually, the denominator of the fraction I need to split up into two separate fractions is a quadratic, but in this instance it's a cubic.

Specifically, the problem i'm having is that two of the factors to this cubic are the same, so when I set x equal to values in order to find the unknowns, everything disappears!

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Write [itex]\frac{(x - 1)}{(x + 1)(x + 2)^{2}}[/itex] as the sum of 3 partial fractions.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

[itex]\frac{(x - 1)}{(x + 1)(x + 2)^{2}} = \frac{A}{(x + 1)} + \frac{B}{(x + 2)} + \frac{C}{(x + 2)}[/itex]

[itex] = \frac{A(x + 2)(x + 2)}{(x + 1)(x + 2)(x + 2)} + \frac{B(x + 1)(x + 2)}{(x + 1)(x + 2)(x + 2)} + \frac{C(x + 1)(x + 2)}{(x + 1)(x + 2)(x + 2)}[/itex]

[itex](x - 1) \equiv A(x +2)(x + 2) + B(x+1)(x + 2) + C(x + 1)(x + 2)[/itex]

If I set x = -1, then A = -2

But now if I try to make the other brackets equal to zero, A, B and C disappear...

I'm probably missing something obvious (or shouldn't be approaching this in the exact same way I would a simpler one), but I can't see the solution.

Thanks for any help you can give

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  2. jcsd
  3. May 31, 2014 #2

hilbert2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In this case, the correct form of the partial fraction decomposition is ##\frac{x-1}{(x+1)(x+2)^2}=\frac{A}{x-1}+\frac{B}{x+2}+\frac{C}{(x+2)^2}##. You can calculate the correct decomposition in Wolfram Alpha by entering the command Apart[(x-1)/((x+1)(x+2)^2)]. I hope this helps.

4. May 31, 2014 #3
    I'm not sure I understand why that's the case, but I can see how it helps me solve the question.

5. May 31, 2014 #4

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

It's not clear what partial fraction decomposition you are trying to write.

BOAS starts with:

[itex]\frac{(x - 1)}{(x + 2)(x + 2)^{2}}[/itex]

Which hilbert2 interprets as:

[itex]\frac{x-1}{(x+1)(x+2)^2}[/itex]

and then, the partial fraction decomposition becomes (also, according to hilbert2):

[itex]\frac{A}{x-1}+\frac{B}{x+2}+\frac{C}{(x+2)^2}[/itex]

Are you guys solving the same problem?

6. May 31, 2014 #5
    Thank you for catching that.

In the 'problem statement' section, I did make a typo, but the correct version is used through my working and Hilbert references the correct version.

I'll edit the OP.

EDIT 2 Ack, there are more inconsistencies in my post, further edits required.

7. May 31, 2014 #6

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Seems like every post in this thread has a typo or two.

I assume the second red factor is correct. In that case the right side should be$$
    \frac A {x+1} + \frac B {x+2} + \frac C {(x+2)^2}$$.

8. May 31, 2014 #7
    Ok, I think I have corrected all the typos in my OP.

I've also answered my own problem;

[itex]\frac{(x - 1)}{(x + 1)(x + 2)^{2}} = \frac{A}{(x + 1)} + \frac{Bx + c}{(x + 2)^{2}}[/itex]

Letting [itex]C = 2B + D[/itex] Accounts for that extra factor that was confusing me.

Thanks for the help - I made the same sign error early on in my written working and it cropped up all over the place.

9. Jun 1, 2014 #8

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There are three unknowns, A, B, and C so you need three equations. Since the given equation is to be true for all x, put in any three values of x you please to get three equations.

You have
    [tex]\frac{x- 1}{(x+ 1)(x+ 2)^2}= \frac{A}{x+ 1}+ \frac{Bx+ C}{(x+ 2)^2}[/tex]
    Multiply both sides by the denominator to get [itex]x- 1= A(x+ 2)^2+ (Bx+ C)(x+ 1)[/itex]

Yes, setting x= -1 and -2 will give very simple equations. If x= -1, [itex]-2= A(1)^2+ (B(-1)+ C)(-1+ 1)= A[/itex]. Setting x= -2, [itex]-3= A(-2+ 2)^3+ (B(-2)+ C)(-2+ 1)= 2B- C[/itex].

So we have A= -2 and 2B- C= -3. Set x equal to what ever third number you like to get a third equation. I happen to thing "0" is a very easy number: if x= 0, -1= A(0+ 2)^2+ (B(0)+ C)(0+ 1)= 4A+ C.

So we have the three equations, A= -2, 2B- C= -3, and 4A+ C= -1. Since A= -2, that third equation is -8+ C= 1 so C= 9. Then 2B- C= 2B- 9= -3.

Another way to do problems like this, without setting x equal to any numbers is use the fact that "If two polynomials have the same value for all x, then they must be exactly the same- they must have the same coefficients. We have [itex]x- 1= A(x+ 2)^2+ (Bx+ C)(x+ 1)[/itex]. Multiplying out the right side, [tex]0x^3+ x- 1= A(x^2+ 4x+ 4)+ Bx(x+ 1)+ C(x+ 1)= Ax^2+ 4Ax+ 4A+ Bx^2+ Bx+ Cx+ C= (A+ B)x^2+ (B+ C)x+ (A+C)[/tex] for all x so we must have A+ B= 0, B+ C= 1, and 4A+ C= -1. Solve those three equations for A, B, C.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted