Partial fractions integral of 2x²/((x+1)(x²+1)) from 0 to 1

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 2K views
realism877
Messages
80
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement



(2(x)^2)/((x+1)((x)^2+1)) from 0 to 1







The indefinite answer is (1/2)ln2+ln2-(pi/4)

How did it get to this answer?(3/2)ln2-(pi/4)
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Use partial fractions to write the integrand as
[tex]\frac A {x+1}+\frac{Bx+C}{x^2+1}[/tex]
 
LCKurtz said:
Use partial fractions to write the integrand as
[tex]\frac A {x+1}+\frac{Bx+C}{x^2+1}[/tex]


I did that.

I already have the solution. I'm just trying to figure out where the 3 came from.
 
Oh my! I thought you had a calculus question about integrating. Instead you have an elementary algebra question. See if you can figure out how to combine like terms and make your answer agree with the given answer.
 
realism877 said:
The indefinite answer is (1/2)ln2+ln2-(pi/4)
What do you mean the indefinite answer? Where are the x's?

You will need to show us your work in how you got to your answer. You might have made an error in your work.