Partial Fractions - Integration

In summary, the integral \int \frac {5x^2 - 20x +45}{(2x+1)(x-2)^2}\, dx can be solved by first decomposing it into partial fractions. However, when solving for A, B, and C, there was an error in factoring out a 5 from the numerator, resulting in an incorrect answer. The correct solution involves using log laws and correctly factoring out the 5.
emmaerin

Homework Statement

Evaluate the integral. (Remember to use ln |u| where appropriate. Use C for the constant of integration.)

[itex] \int \frac {5x^2 - 20x +45}{(2x+1)(x-2)^2}\, dx [/itex]

Homework Equations

[itex] 5x^2 - 20x +45 [/itex] = [itex] 5 (x^2 -4x +9) [/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm able to come up with an answer, but it's not correct. I'd really appreciate it if someone could tell me where I'm going wrong. Thanks! (Also this is my first attempt at LaTeX, so forgive me if it's not formatted properly!)

First to solve for the partial fractions:
[itex] \frac {A}{2x+1} + \frac {B}{x-2} + \frac {C}{(x-2)^2} [/itex]

[itex] x^2 - 4x +9 = A (x-2)^2 + B (2x+1) (x-2) + C (2x+1) [/itex]
[itex] x^2 - 4x + 9 = A (x^2 - 4x + 4) + B (2x^2 - 3x - 2) + C (2x+1) [/itex]

[itex] x^2 = x^2 (A+2B) [/itex]
[itex] -4x = x (-4A - 3B + 2C) [/itex]
[itex] 9 = 4A -2B +C [/itex]

Therefore,
[itex] C = 9-4A +2B [/itex]
[itex] -4x = x ( -4A - 3B + 2(9-4A+2B))[/itex]
[itex] -4 = -12A + B +18 [/itex]
[itex] -22 = -12A + B [/itex]

and

[itex] 1 = A + 2B [/itex]
[itex] -22 = -22A - 44B [/itex]

Gives me,

[itex] -12A + B = -22A - 44B [/itex]
[itex] A = \frac {-9}{2} B [/itex]
[itex] 1 = \frac {-9}{2}B + 2B [/itex]

*[itex] \mathbf B = \frac{-2}{5} [/itex]

[itex] 1 = A + 2B [/itex]

*[itex] \mathbf A = \frac{9}{5} [/itex]

[itex] C = 9 - 4A + 2B [/itex]

*[itex] \mathbf C = 1 [/itex]

Substituting in A, B, and C gives me:

[itex] \int \frac {\frac{9}{5}}{2x+1}\,dx [/itex] + [itex] \int \frac {\frac{-2}{5}}{x-2} \,dx [/itex] + [itex] \int \frac {1}{(x-2)^2}\,dx [/itex]

[itex] = \frac{9}{5} \int \frac {1}{2x+1}\,dx [/itex] [itex] - \frac{2}{5} \int \frac {1}{x-2}\,dx [/itex] [itex] + \int \frac {1}{(x-2)^2} \, dx [/itex]For the first integral, [itex] = \frac{9}{5} \int \frac {1}{2x+1}\,dx [/itex]
[itex] u = 2x+1, du = 2 dx [/itex]
[itex] \frac {9}{10} \int \frac {1}{u}\, du [/itex]
[itex] = \frac {9}{10} ln |2x+1|[/itex]For the second integral, [itex] \int \frac {\frac{-2}{5}}{x-2} \,dx [/itex]
[itex] \frac{-2}{5} \int \frac {1}{x-2} \, dx [/itex]
[itex] = \frac{-2}{5} ln |x-2| [/itex] For the third integral, [itex] \int \frac {1}{(x-2)^2} \, dx [/itex]
[itex] \int (x-2)^{-2} \, dx [/itex]
[itex] = \frac {-1}{x-2} [/itex]This gives me the following answer, but it's wrong :( I know this is a long problem, so any help would be appreciated!

[itex] \frac {9}{10} ln |2x+1|[/itex] + [itex] \frac{-2}{5} ln |x-2| [/itex] + [itex] \frac {-1}{x-2} [/itex] +C

Physics news on Phys.org
Revise your calculations of A, B and C, when you decompose your fraction, that's where the error is.

Likes 1 person
A) You factored out a 5 from the numerator at the beginning of the problem, and then it disappeared.
B) Your answer involves logs, and log laws might have been used to make the book's (or whatever it is you're comparing your answer to) answer look different from yours.

Likes 1 person
gopher_p said:
A) You factored out a 5 from the numerator at the beginning of the problem, and then it disappeared.

I completely forgot to bring down the 5 - that was the whole problem! Such a silly mistake, thanks for pointing it out!

What are partial fractions in integration?

Partial fractions in integration is a method used to decompose a rational function into simpler fractions. This allows for easier integration of complex algebraic expressions.

What is the purpose of using partial fractions in integration?

The purpose of using partial fractions in integration is to break down a complex rational function into simpler fractions, making it easier to integrate. This method is especially helpful when dealing with integrals that involve quadratic expressions.

How do you determine the form of partial fractions in integration?

The form of partial fractions in integration is determined by the degree of the denominator. If the degree of the denominator is less than the degree of the numerator, the fraction is called a proper fraction. If the degree of the denominator is greater than or equal to the degree of the numerator, the fraction is called an improper fraction.

What is the process for integrating partial fractions?

The process for integrating partial fractions involves decomposing the rational function into simpler fractions, finding the constants for each fraction, and then integrating each individual fraction. Finally, the integration of the original rational function is obtained by adding the integrals of the individual fractions.

When is it necessary to use partial fractions in integration?

Partial fractions in integration is necessary when the rational function cannot be integrated directly using basic integration techniques. It is also used when dealing with integrals involving complex algebraic expressions, such as quadratic expressions.