1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Integral quick q , integrate ((1-x)/(1+x))^1/2

1. Jan 30, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

How do I go about integrating
    ##(\frac{1-x}{1+x})^{\frac{1}{2}} ##?

2. Relevant equations
    above

3. The attempt at a solution
    im not really sure.
    could integrate by partial fractions if it was to the power of ##1##, only thing i can think of

thanks in advance

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 30, 2017 #2

RUber

Homework Helper

What if you multiplied by 1,
    i.e.
    ## 1= \frac{\sqrt{1-x}}{\sqrt{1-x}}##
    Then you might have something that looks like a known integral using trig functions.

4. Jan 30, 2017 #3
    oh thanks, so by doing that I get ##\int \frac{1-x}{(1-x^{2})^{1/2}} dx ##, which I can partial fraction and then integrate

5. Jan 30, 2017 #4

RUber

Homework Helper

I'm not sure if my definition of partial fractions is the same as yours, but
    ##\int \frac{1}{\sqrt{1 -x^2} }\, dx ## and ##\int \frac{x}{\sqrt{1 -x^2}} \, dx## both have known integrals.

6. Jan 30, 2017 #5

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Partial fractions isn't appropriate here, either. Assuming you could break up ##(\frac{1-x}{1-x^2})^{1/2}## into ##(\frac{A}{1-x} + \frac B {1 + x})^{1/2}##, you still have the sum of the two fractions being raised to the 1/2 power.

Trig substitution is definitely the way to go after applying @RUber's suggestion.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted