1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle in a central potential and a magnetic field: nearly circular orbits

1. Feb 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle of mass m and charge e moves in a central field with potential [itex]V(r) = -\alpha r^{-3/2}[/itex] and in a constant magnetic field [itex] \vec{B} = B_0 \hat{e}_z[/itex]

1) Write the Lagrangian and the Hamiltonian

2) Write the first integral [itex]H_{orb}[/itex] for the equation of the orbit [itex]u(\phi )[/itex] ("u" refers to the inverse of the radius of the orbit), then calculate the radius [itex]r_c[/itex] for the stable circular orbit

3) For nearly circular orbit the equation of the orbit is [itex]r = \frac{r_c}{1 + \epsilon \cos (\omega\phi)}[/itex]. Determine [itex]\omega[/itex] and [itex]\epsilon[/itex] for nearly circular orbits

2. Relevant equations

The equation my professor uses for the generalized potential generated by a magnetic field: [itex]1/2 \vec{B}\cdot\vec{r}\times\vec{B}[/itex]

3. The attempt at a solution

1) I think I solved for the Lagrangian and the Hamiltonian. I'm using polar coordinates:
    [itex]L = 1/2m(\dot{r}^2 + r^2\dot{\phi}^2 + \alpha r^{-3/2} + 1/2 e B_0 r^2\dot{\phi}[/itex]

[itex]H = \frac{p_r^2}{m} -\alpha r^{-3/2} + \frac{1}{2mr^2} (p_\phi - 1/2 e B_0 r^2)^2[/itex]

I had the impression that the equation my professor gave me for the magnetic generalized potential ([itex]1/2 \vec{B}\cdot\vec{r}\times\vec{B}[/itex]) had its sign wrong, so I changed its sign. Am I correct?

2) Here the problems begin. I attempted splitting the Hamiltonian into a "kinetic part" and an effective potential ([itex]V_{eff}(r) = -\alpha r^{-3/2} + \frac{1}{2mr^2} (p_\phi - 1/2 e B_0 r^2)^2[/itex]), then I tried to express the kinetic part as a function of [itex]\frac{du}{d\phi}[/itex] with several changes of variables. I ended up with [itex]H = \frac{(p_{\phi}-1/2 e B_0/u^2)^2}{m}\frac{du}{d\phi} + V_{eff}(1/u)[/itex]. Something, however goes wrong, since i found a dependance on "u" (= 1/r) in the "kinetic energy part" of the Hamiltonian. I'm basically stuck here. I know that I should find the minima of the effective potential in order to find the circular orbits, but I find a very difficult equation to solve, so I'm asking if I am following the right path

3) For this question I thought to set up [itex] V_{eff}(1/u_c) = \frac{(p_{\phi}-1/2 e B_0/u^2)^2}{m}\frac{du}{d\phi} + V_{eff}(1/u_c) + 1/2 V''_{eff} (1/u - 1/u_c)[/itex] and then to try to solve it with separation of variables. For now I have not found [itex]u_c[/itex] so I don't know if it will work, so I am asking for confirmation

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you offer guidance or do you also need help?