1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle in an infinite square well - interval -d/2<x<d/2

1. Aug 4, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Particle is in an infinite square well of width ##L## on an interval ##-L/2<x<L/2##. The wavefunction which describes the state of this particle is of form:
    $$\psi = A_0\psi_0(x) + A_1\psi_1(x)$$
    where ##A_1=1/2## and where ##\psi_0## and ##\psi_1## are ground and first excited state. What are ##\psi_0## and ##\psi_1## like? Write them down. Calculate ##A_0##.

2. Relevant equations
    I allways used this equation to get normalisation factors:
    $$\int\limits_{-d/2}^{d/2} \psi =1$$
    If i recall corectly the eigenfunctions are orthogonal? I remember something about this and i think there is different way too solve this problem using this orthogonality. Please someone show me, because i am interested in both ways!

3. The attempt at a solution
    I know that normalisation factor should be ##A_0=\sqrt{3}/2## but what i got was totaly different. I think i chose ##\psi_0## and ##\psi_1## wrong. Here is how i got the wrong result:
    [Broken]

Is it possible that I should use ##\psi_0(x) = \cos \left(\frac{(2N-1)\pi}{d}x\right)## where ##\boxed{N=1}## and ##\psi_1(x) = \sin \left(\frac{2N\pi}{d}x\right)## where ##\boxed{N=1}##?

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2013 #2
    You're correct that your initial eigenfunctions are wrong, but your suggested corrections are not quite right either (but really close! :) ). [itex]N[/itex] labels the energy states, so that the ground state is [itex]N=1[/itex] and the first excited state is [itex]N=2[/itex].

Using that in your new eigenfunctions should result in the correct answer. I didn't go in detail through your method though.

Edit: Whoops, don't forget the [itex]\sqrt{\frac{2}{L}}[/itex] factor in those new eigenfunctions also!

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  4. Aug 5, 2013 #3
    What i thought was: "Oh! ##A_0## and ##A_1## are already there and are playing the role of ##\sqrt{2/L}##". I guess i missread the instructions...

I don,t understand the why N=2 though. If i plug in the N=1 in the equations i provided (i added factor of ##\sqrt{2/L}##) I get ##\psi_0(x) = \sqrt{2/L}\cos \left(\frac{1\pi}{d}x\right)## (this should be the ground state) and ##\psi_1(x) =\sqrt{2/L} \sin \left(\frac{2\pi}{d}x\right)## (this should be first excited state).

5. Aug 5, 2013 #4

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Typically, you label the states n=1, n=2, n=3, and so on. You don't use the same n for different states. The eigenfunctions would be given by
    $$\phi_n(x) = \begin{cases}
    \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}}\cos \frac{n\pi x}{L}, & n\text{ odd} \\\\
    \sqrt{\frac{2}{L}}\sin \frac{n \pi x}{L}, & n\text{ even}
    \end{cases}$$ for ##-L/2 \le x \le L/2## and 0 elsewhere. Following this convention for labeling the states, the energy of each state is given succinctly by
    $$E_n = \frac{\hbar^2 n^2 \pi^2}{2mL^2}.$$

6. Aug 5, 2013 #5
    If i understand your point you wanted to say that my sugestion would have worked, but is not written in accordance to convention?

7. Aug 5, 2013 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

I was just clarifying what TheShrike meant. You can use whatever convention you want as long as it works for you.

8. Aug 5, 2013 #7
    Yes i know that. But would my own convention work?

9. Aug 5, 2013 #8
    It worked and i got the solution ##A_0 = \sqrt{3}/2##. Thank you all for your help.

10. Aug 5, 2013 #9
    Oh, I see what you were doing now. A conflict of conventions, as vela stated. My mistake.

Looks like you had the answer all along. :wink:

11. Aug 5, 2013 #10
    Nope. The mistake is always a comunication :). If you were here and i could ask you in person we would solve the problem in first two sentances. But writing and reading is sometimes blah :). We should create some sort of a Skype Q&A site ;)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted