Particle motion when wrapped around drum; elastic string

In summary, a uniform cylindrical drum of mass M and radius a is free to rotate about its axis, which is horizontal. An elastic cable of negligible mass and length l is wrapped around the drum and carries on its free end a mass m. The motion of the mass m is a uniform acceleration, the same as it would be if the cable were inelastic, but it is superimposed with an oscillation of angular frequency given by ω^2 = k(M +2m)/Mm. The amplitude of the oscillation is Mmg/k(M+2m) if the system is released from rest with the cable unextended. The Lagrangian for this system is L = ¼Ma^2 \dot{\theta
Dazed&Confused

Homework Statement

A uniform cylindrical drum of mass [itex] M [/itex] and radius [itex] a [/itex] is free to rotate about its axis, which i is horizontal. An elastic cable of negligible mass and length [itex]l[/itex] is wrapped around the drum and carries on its free end a mass [itex]m[/itex]. The cable has elastic potential energy [itex]\tfrac12 kx^2 [/itex] where [itex]x[/itex] is the extension of the cable. The cable is initially fully wound up. Show that the motion of the mass [itex]m[/itex] is a uniform acceleration the same as it would be if the cable were inelastic, but it is superimposed with an oscillation of angular frequency given by [itex] \omega^2 = k(M +2m)/Mm [/itex]. Find the amplitude of the oscillation if the system is released from rest with the cable unextended.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The Lagrangian is
[tex]
L = \tfrac14 Ma^2 \dot{\theta}^2 + \tfrac{m}{2} (a\dot{\theta} +\dot{x})^2 + mg(a\theta +x) -\tfrac12 k x^2
[/tex]
where [itex]\theta[/itex] is the angle rotated from its rest position such that a positive angle results in the mass moving downwards. From this we get the equations
[tex]
m(a \ddot{\theta} + \ddot{x} ) =mg -kx
[/tex]
and
[tex]
Ma \ddot{\theta} +2m(a \ddot{\theta} +\ddot{x}) = 2mg
[/tex]

We can eliminate [itex]\ddot{\theta}[/itex] to get
[tex]
\ddot{x} = -\frac{k(M+2m)}{mM}x + g
[/tex]
We can eliminate [itex]g[/itex] by intorducing a new variable but the key point is the angular frequency is the one given in the question. The amplitude then becomes [itex]Mmg/k(M+2m)[/itex], whereas the one given in the book is [itex]M^2mg/k(M+2m)^2[/itex]. Solving for [itex]\ddot{\theta}[/itex] I get
[tex]
a \ddot{\theta} = \frac{2k}{M}x
[/tex]
which isn't the uniform acceleration they asked for. The uniform acceleration I think should be [itex] 2mg/(M+2m) [/itex].

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have some signs wrong in your Lagrangian.

I really do not like this question. The expression for elastic PE is completely unrealistic here. It is only correct for uniformly stretched elastic. If k is the elastic constant for the whole string, then for the unwound piece of length y it is kl/y. If the extension is x then the PE is klx2/(2y).

haruspex said:
I think you have some signs wrong in your Lagrangian.

I really do not like this question. The expression for elastic PE is completely unrealistic here. It is only correct for uniformly stretched elastic. If k is the elastic constant for the whole string, then for the unwound piece of length y it is kl/y. If the extension is x then the PE is klx2/(2y).

I've looked at it a bit and I'm not sure what the sign error would be.

Dazed&Confused said:
I've looked at it a bit and I'm not sure what the sign error would be.
Sorry, your signs are correct. I also agree with your amplitude.
Why do you think ##a\ddot\theta## would give the underlying constant acceleration? Can you think of another way to find it?

Likes Dazed&Confused
I did combine two questions here. The previous question was without the string being inelastic and the constant acceleration term was [itex] a \ddot{\theta}[/itex]. I guess there is no other acceleration with the coordinates I have chosen.

If I find the acceleration [itex]a \ddot{\theta}[/itex] perhaps then combining the two it will be obvious.

Dazed&Confused said:
If I find the acceleration [itex]a \ddot{\theta}[/itex] perhaps then combining the two it will be obvious.
You know that x is a sin function of t, plus a constant, no? Can you not simply discard the sine function and solve for ##\ddot\theta##?

I'm not sure what you mean, but I found the answer they were looking for. From [itex] a \ddot{\theta} = 2kx/M [/itex] I found [itex] a \theta[/itex] and then added it to [itex]x[/itex] from which we get a term corresponding to a constant acceleration of [itex]2mg/(M+2m)[/itex] and an oscillation with the same frequency but with amplitude as given in the book.

Dazed&Confused said:
I'm not sure what you mean, but I found the answer they were looking for. From [itex] a \ddot{\theta} = 2kx/M [/itex] I found [itex] a \theta[/itex] and then added it to [itex]x[/itex] from which we get a term corresponding to a constant acceleration of [itex]2mg/(M+2m)[/itex] and an oscillation with the same frequency but with amplitude as given in the book.
Ah, of course, it's the amplitude of the aθ+x oscillation you want, which is not the same as that of x.
Well done. Sorry I wasn't more helpful.

1. What is particle motion?

Particle motion refers to the movement of individual particles in a substance or material. This can include the movement of atoms, molecules, or other small particles.

2. How is particle motion affected when wrapped around a drum?

When a material is wrapped around a drum, the movement of the particles within the material can be influenced by the shape and surface of the drum. This can cause changes in the speed, direction, and amplitude of particle motion.

3. What role does an elastic string play in particle motion?

An elastic string can act as a medium for particle motion when wrapped around a drum. The elasticity of the string allows for the transmission of energy and movement between the drum and the particles.

4. How does the tension of the elastic string affect particle motion?

The tension of the elastic string can impact the speed and amplitude of particle motion. A higher tension can result in faster and more vigorous movement, while a lower tension can lead to slower and more subdued motion.

5. Are there any real-world applications for studying particle motion when wrapped around a drum with an elastic string?

Yes, understanding particle motion in this scenario can have practical applications in fields such as acoustics, engineering, and material science. For example, it can help in designing musical instruments, analyzing structural integrity, and studying the behavior of different materials under stress.