Particles joined by light elastic string

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of determining the position of a particle at a given time in a system of particles connected by light elastic strings. The speaker shares their attempts at modeling the system and the challenges they faced, particularly with the concept of extension in the absence of a fixed end of the string. They also consider different approaches to solving the problem and ask for suggestions from others.
Galadirith
Hi guys,

I was thinking of a problem the other day; consider a group of particles, connected to each other by light elastic strings, there is no restriction on which particles can be connected to which, then can one determine the position of a particle at time t.

So I set about trying to determine a way to model that system, and decided to start simple, consider the case of two particles joined by a single light elastic string, moving in one dimension and not under the influence of gravity, so my system would look like this:

http://weald10k.fileave.com/PF007_pic1_2.png​

where the particles are free to move in one dimension, x, with positive x to the right. I will also make the assumption that the string is initially taught such that the distance between P1 and P2 is greater than or equal to the natural length of the string.

Also of course at some point in the future the string will become slack, at which point the positions and velocities of the particles can be determined and the normal equations of motion will apply. When the string becomes taught again the system model can be reapplied with different initial conditions.

The concern of my question only relates to determining the position and velocity of the two particles at any time t before the string becomes slack.

Each particle P1 and P2 has properties:
Mass = mi
Position Vector = [itex]\vec x_{i}(t)[/itex]
and we know the initial position and velocity of both [itex]\vec x_{i,0}[/itex] and [itex]\vec v_{i,0}[/itex]​

and the String has properties:
modulus of elasticity = λ
Natural length = ℓ
where both are scalars

So resolving forces for P1 and P2:
[tex]m_1\frac{d^2\vec{x_1}}{dt^2} = \vec{T_1} \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \ \
m_2\frac{d^2\vec{x_2}}{dt^2} = \vec{T_2}[/tex]

Now here is where I start to run into trouble, by Hooke's law, the tension will be:

[tex]\vec{T} = -\frac{\lambda}{\ell}\vec{x_e}[/tex]​

where [itex]\vec x_e[/itex] is the extension vector of the string. What I quickly came to realize is that it isn't as easy as it appeared to be. In order to determine the extension vector, I had to first ascertain the concept of extension when there is no "fixed end" of the string. I first considered the force acting on P1. consider the diagram below where [itex]\vec x_e[/itex] is the extension related to the tension force acting on P1:

http://weald10k.fileave.com/PF007_pic2_2.png​

So I realized, let's take [itex]\vec x_{2}[/itex] to be a "psudo fixed end", such that the extension vector will be pointing away from P2.

Initially I can up with some odd equation for the extension in terms of [itex]\vec x_{1}[/itex], [itex]\vec x_{2}[/itex] and ℓ, then I realized they contradicted each other, and realized its because ℓ is a scalar and in my mind I was treating it as a vector in some peculiar fashion.

What I realized is that the extension vector is dependant on the vector ℓ, by the diagram we see that,

[tex]\vec{x_e} = \vec{x_{2}x_{1}} + \vec{\ell}[/tex]​

but we have yet to define the vector ℓ, and it turns out that the vector ℓ is not infact constant, and is dependant on weather P1 is to the left or right of P2. In the diagram above P1 is to the left, below

http://weald10k.fileave.com/PF007_pic3_2.png​

P1 is the the right, and as you can see the vector ℓ must be pointing in the opposite direction as before. What I then concluded is that ℓ must point in the direction opposite to [itex]\vec{x_{2}x_{1}}[/itex]. This leads to the equation of the extension of the string for the force T1:

[tex]\vec{x_e} = \vec{x_{2}x_{1}} - \ell \frac{\vec{x_{2}x_{1}}}{|\vec{x_{2}x_{1}}|}[/tex]​

which would mean that the initial force resolution equations become:

(i) [tex]\begin{array}{rcl}
\displaystyle m_1\frac{d^2\vec{x_1}}{dt^2}&=& \displaystyle \vec{T_1} \\
&=& \displaystyle -\frac{\lambda}{\ell} \left( \vec{x_{2}x_{1}} - \ell \frac{\vec{x_{2}x_{1}}}{|\vec{x_{2}x_{1}}|} \right) \\
&=& \displaystyle -\frac{\lambda}{\ell} \left( (\vec{x_{1}} - \vec{x_{2}}) - \ell \frac{(\vec{x_{1}} - \vec{x_{2}})}{|\vec{x_{2}x_{1}}|} \right)
\end{array}[/tex]

(ii) [tex]\begin{array}{rcl}
\displaystyle m_2\frac{d^2\vec{x_2}}{dt^2}&=& \displaystyle \vec{T_2} \\
&=& \displaystyle -\vec{T_1}\\
&=& \displaystyle \frac{\lambda}{\ell} \left( \vec{x_{2}x_{1}} - \ell \frac{\vec{x_{2}x_{1}}}{|\vec{x_{2}x_{1}}|} \right) \\
&=&\displaystyle -\frac{\lambda}{\ell} \left( \vec{x_{1}x_{2}} - \ell \frac{\vec{x_{1}x_{2}}}{|\vec{x_{1}x_{2}}|} \right) \\
&=&\displaystyle -\frac{\lambda}{\ell} \left( (\vec{x_{2}} - \vec{x_{1}}) - \ell \frac{(\vec{x_{2}} - \vec{x_{1}})}{|\vec{x_{2}x_{1}}|} \right)[/tex]

From here I have no idea how to go any further really. Initially I thought that this problem may boil down to the acceleration of a particle in terms of the position vectors of the two particles, and perhaps through a Laplace transform it would be solvable as I would have a system of two equations in two variables. But the ℓ and having to use a modulus of a variable vector has thrown a spanner in the works.

I thought perhaps there were two ways of proceeding further. One was that T1 = -T2, therefore:

[tex]m_1\frac{d^2\vec{x_1}}{dt^2} = -m_2\frac{d^2\vec{x_2}}{dt^2}[/tex]​

and through repeated integration w.r.t t knowing the initial conditions one can find an expression for x1 in x2, which can be used to eliminate x1 or x2 from the force resolution equations (i) and (ii), but that doesn't make them any simpler to solve, I'm still left with a form that is nearly as complicated as before.

I did think I could express the modulus of [itex]\vec{x_{2}x_{1}}[/itex] as a piece wise function using the heavyside function, but I almost feel that that makes the problem more complicated then if feels it should be.

Thank you so much for reading my "essay". What I am asking is if anyone could suggest if any of the ways I have thought of moving forward with this problem are viable, or any suggestions at all, perhaps I have missed something very obvious that I have not factored into my model that will make things easier. Thank you soo much guys :D.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
HI Galadirith! :smile:

(I haven't actually read your whole post :redface:, but …)

In the first diagram, shouldn't T1 and T2 be equal?

Hi tiny-tim, thanks so much for the reply,

Yes that was one of my chains of taught, at sort of the end area :D, well actually I was treating T1 and T2 as vectors, not absolute value so I would have T1 = -T2, the reason being is the motivation for this is to be able to implement this type of mechanics in a small physics engine I have wanted to write, nothing massive, just a fun little project for me :D.

So should I have needed to solve that problem in a question I can make cuts and links in my mind that could be programmed, but then would only really apply to a system that is almost identical to this one I wanted to establish a model that could be programmed and applied to any problem with a system of this 'class'.

I think really I might be getting ahead of myself really. I might have scared a few people off with my over indulgence with diagrams and latex fetish ;D. I think this will be one of those problems, where once I have had a couple of years of Uni (Starting next year :D yey!) and a some good nights sleep ill wake up and think "By jove, I think I've solved" :D, and that will be a good day.

Thanks so much tiny-tim for post :D

1. What are "Particles joined by light elastic string"?

"Particles joined by light elastic string" is a concept in physics where particles are connected by a thin, stretchy string made of a material that can be easily stretched and released. These particles can be atoms, molecules, or larger objects and are typically held together by intermolecular forces.

2. What is the purpose of studying particles joined by light elastic string?

The study of particles joined by light elastic string allows scientists to better understand the behavior and properties of materials at a microscopic level. It also has practical applications in fields such as materials science, nanotechnology, and biology.

3. How are particles joined by light elastic string different from traditional bonds?

The main difference is the type of force that holds the particles together. Traditional bonds, such as covalent or ionic bonds, are formed by the sharing or transfer of electrons. In contrast, particles joined by light elastic string are held together by intermolecular forces, which are weaker and more easily disrupted.

4. What factors affect the strength of the light elastic string connecting the particles?

The strength of the light elastic string is influenced by several factors, including the type of material, the thickness and length of the string, and the force applied to stretch it. Additionally, the temperature and environment can also impact the elasticity of the string.

5. Can particles joined by light elastic string be broken or separated?

Yes, particles joined by light elastic string can be broken apart if enough force is applied to stretch or break the string. Additionally, changes in temperature or environment can also cause the string to lose its elasticity and break. However, the strength of the string can be increased by using stronger materials or adjusting its length and thickness.