1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle moving in electromagnetic field - converting units

1. Sep 4, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Show that the force on a moving charged particle F = qv × B
    from a magnetic field pointing perpendicular to the velocity produces a centripetal force and that this is equivalent to the equation pc = ABρ, where B is the magnetic field strength (in Tesla) and ρ is the radius of the circular orbit (in meters). If we express p in GeV/c, what
    is the value of the constant A (which has units GeV/T-m) for a proton?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I had no trouble with the first part of the problem. Since v is perpendicular to B, I just used F=(mv^2)/r and then multiplied both sides by c to get pc = qcB(rho). Now I have A = qc = 1.6x10^-19 C x c, however this is my first time working with eV units and am a bit lost on how to go about converting 'charge*c' to GeV/T-m.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 5, 2012 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Your first step is to demonstrate circular motion.

After that, do your calculation in GeV from the get-go. note that mc2=0.938GeV

[tex]evB=\frac{mv^2}{r}=\frac{p^2}{mr}=\frac{(pc)^2}{mc^2r}[/tex]

Or do the dimensional analysys on your units (Cm/s) to make sure they come out to Joules/(Tesla-meters) then just convert the Joules to GeV by the usual conversion factor.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook