1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Total moment density of electromagnetic fields

1. May 27, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    These is a problem from my textbook. You have an infinite solenoid with n turns per unit longitude, radius "a" and a stationary current I. In the axis there exits a uniform line charge with lineal density λ. Compute total electromagnetic momentum (lineal and angular).

2. Relevant equations
    Poynting vector: $$\mathbf{S}=\frac{1}{\mu_0}\mathbf{E}\times\mathbf{B}$$.
    Momentum density: $$\mathbf{g}=\mu_0\epsilon_0\mathbf{S}$$

3. The attempt at a solution
    Well, I computed electric and magnetic fields as usual.
    Electric field :
    $$\mathbf{E}=\frac{\lambda}{2\pi\epsilon_0 r}\mathbf{\hat{r}}$$
    Magnetic field (only exits inside solenoid):
    $$\mathbf{B}=\mu_0 nI\mathbf{\hat{z}}$$
    From here I find Poynting vector:
    $$\mathbf{S}=\frac{-\lambda n I}{2\pi\epsilon_0 r}\mathbf{\hat{\phi}}$$
    and momentum density:
    $$\mathbf{g}=-\frac{\lambda n I}{2\pi\epsilon_0 c^2}\frac{1}{r}\mathbf{\hat{\phi}}$$
    From here I have angular momentum ##\mathbf{l}=\mathbf{r}\times\mathbf{g}##:
    $$\mathbf{l}=-\frac{\lambda nI}{2\pi\epsilon_0 c^2}\mathbf{\hat{z}}.$$
    Integrating inside the solenoid for length 1 i find total angular momentum per unit longitude:
    $$\mathbf{L}=\frac{-\lambda n Ia^2}{2\epsilon_0 c^2}\mathbf{\hat{z}}$$
    When I try to compute total momentum per unit longitude I find:
    $$\mathbf{G}=-\frac{\lambda n I}{2\pi\epsilon_0 c^2}\int_0^1dz\int_0^{2\pi}d\phi\int_0^a\frac{1}{r}rdr\mathbf{\hat{\phi}}=\frac{-\lambda nIa}{\epsilon_0 c^2}\mathbf{\hat{\phi}}$$.
    Now the solution provided is ##\mathbf{G}=0## because momentum ##\mathbf{g}## forms closed lines ¿? Where is the mistake in my calculation?. I have been thinking about it but I can't find. Any idea? (##\mathbf{L}## calculation seems to be correct)

Thank you in advance!!

2. jcsd
  3. May 28, 2017 #2

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Looks like you forgot the factor ##\mu_0 \epsilon_0## in going from S to g.
    Here, I think you have notational confusion. Angular momentum is calculated relative to the origin. You can let ##\mathbf{R}## be the position vector of a point relative to the origin. So, angular momentum density would be ##\mathbf{l}=\mathbf{R}\times\mathbf{g}##. Be sure to distinguish between ##\mathbf{R}## and ##\mathbf{r}##. You can write ##\mathbf{R}## in terms of ##\mathbf{r}##, ##\hat{k}##, and ##z##.
    In your integration, you treated ##\mathbf{\hat{\phi}}## as a constant unit vector. Think about why this is not correct.

4. May 28, 2017 #3
    Hello TSny!!
    Thank you for your comments.
    I used ##\mu_0\epsilon_0=\frac{1}{c^2}## for the ##\mathbf{g}## vector.

I used cylindrical coordinates as we have an infinite solenoid. I think angular momentum is relative to Z axis and so ##\mathbf{R}=\mathbf{r}##. I followed example 8.4 in Griffiths Introduction to Electrodynamics 4º Ed. He calls "s" "horizontal" distance from a point to Z axis and he makes a product independent of s. I don't know if these is correct for this problem.

Of course!! I can't treat ##\mathbf{\hat{\phi}}## as constant. I found ##\mathbf{\hat{\phi}}=-\sin\phi\mathbf{\hat{x}}+\cos\phi\mathbf{\hat{y}}## and for angular integral I now have:
    $$\int_0^{2\pi}-\sin\phi\mathbf{\hat{x}}d\phi+\int_0^{2\pi}\cos\phi\mathbf{\hat{y}}d\phi=0$$
    and ##\mathbf{G}=0##:smile::smile::smile:

Thank you very much for your help!!

5. May 28, 2017 #4

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

OK. I overlooked the ##c^2##.:oops:

Looks like maybe Griffiths is using ##s## for your ##r##. For example, you wrote the electric field in terms of ##r## which implies that you are using ##r## for the perpendicular distance from the axis. But, when calculating the angular momentum density ##\mathbf{l}##, you need to use the vector from the origin to the point where you are calculating ##\mathbf{l}##. So, you need a different symbol for this vector, say ##\mathbf{R}##. For a general point inside the solenoid, you should find that ##\mathbf{l}## has both an ##\hat{r}## component as well as a ##\hat{z}## component.
    upload_2017-5-28_18-36-32.png

Yes. Good!

6. May 29, 2017 #5
    OK. I think finally I've understood it with your drawing.

I make ##\mathbf{R}=\mathbf{r}+\mathbf{z}=r\cos\phi\mathbf{\hat{x}}+r\sin\phi\mathbf{\hat{y}}+z\mathbf{\hat{z}}##.

Making ##C=\frac{-\mu_0nI\lambda}{2\pi}##, I find ##\mathbf{g}=\frac{-C}{r}\sin\phi\mathbf{\hat{x}}+\frac{C}{r}\cos\phi\mathbf{\hat{y}}##. And now ##\mathbf{l}=\mathbf{R}\times\mathbf{g}=-\frac{Cz}{r}\cos\phi\mathbf{\hat{x}}-\frac{Cz}{r}\sin\phi\mathbf{\hat{y}}+C\mathbf{\hat{z}}##.

We compute total angular momentum per unit length
    $$\mathbf{L}=\int_0^1dz\int_0^ardr\int_0^{2\pi}\left(-\frac{Cz}{r}\cos\phi\mathbf{\hat{x}}-\frac{Cz}{r}\sin\phi\mathbf{\hat{y}}+C\mathbf{\hat{z}}\right)d\phi.$$ But, ##\int_0^{2\pi}\cos\phi\, d\phi=0##, and ##\int_0^{2\pi}\sin\phi \,d\phi=0##.
    Finally we get:
    $$\mathbf{L}=C\pi a^2\mathbf{\hat{z}}=-\frac{\mu_0 nI\lambda a^2}{2}\mathbf{\hat{z}}.$$

Thanks a lot for your help!!:smile::smile::smile:

7. May 29, 2017 #6

TSny

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Yes, that looks very good.

You can shorten the work a little by using symmetry. It should be clear that the total angular momentum ##\mathbf{L}## only has a ##z## component. So, you only need the ##z## component of the angular momentum density ##\mathbf{l}##, which is what you actually calculated in your first post. So, you got the correct total angular momentum in your first post.

8. May 30, 2017 #7
    Thank you. You have helped me a lot!!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted