1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle oscillating around equilibrium radius

1. Jul 9, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle of mass m moving in three dimensions is attracted to the origin by the gravitational force of a much heavier object. It can be shown that the radial motion is governed by the following equation
    [itex]m\ddot{r}=-\frac{k}{r^{2}}+\frac{l^{2}}{mr^{3}}[/itex]

where k is a constant and l is the angular momentum. Determine an equilibrium radius [itex]r_{0}[/itex] in terms of k, l, and m. If the particle is put near that equilibrium radius, [itex]r=r_{0}+\epsilon[/itex](where [itex]\epsilon << r_{0}[/itex]), it will have an oscillatory radial motion about [itex]r_{0}[/itex]. What will be the frequency of that oscillation?

3. The attempt at a solution
    Attached to thread as I'm horribly slow at typing latex.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2012 #2

gabbagabbahey

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your final answer looks correct, but I'm not quite sure what it is you've done to get it. Specifically, why do you assert that [itex]\omega=\sqrt{\frac{1}{m}\frac{d^2U_{eff}}{dr^2}}[/itex]? Is the RHS of this equation even a constant?

The method I would suggest is to just plug [itex]r=r_0+\epsilon[/itex] into your equation of motion and Taylor expand the RHS of it in powers of [itex]\frac{\epsilon}{r_0}[/itex] (since you know that it is much smaller than one).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook