1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Oscillation of a Charged Particle

1. Feb 9, 2017 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    At our university we were given this problem: charged ball with mass of ##m = 0.0001 kg## and charge ##Q = -10^{-5} C## is placed on geometric axis of thin torus with inner radius of ##r_{inner} = 0.05 m##, outer radius of ##r_{outer} = 0.1 m## and surface charge density ##\sigma = 10^{-5} C##. Compute oscillation time for small deviation, this is when we only slightly flick the ball from stable state.

2. Relevant equations
    First, I took a look at this article and a PDF presentation.

3. The attempt at a solution
    Using the equation for electric field of a charged ring $$ E_z = \frac{Qz}{4 \pi \varepsilon_0 (r^2 + z^2)^{\frac{3}{2}}} $$ I tried obtaining formula for electric field of torus (wider ring) by integration infinitesimal rings from inner to outer radius. Using Symbolab I managed to obtain following equation $$ E_{torus} = \frac{Qz}{4 \pi \varepsilon_0} (\frac{r}{z^3 \sqrt{\frac{r^2}{z^2}+1}})_{r_{inner}} ^ {r_{outer}} $$.

From here on, I'm lost. Can somebody please help me or at least give me some guidance?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 9, 2017 #2

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Hi
    means you are looking for something like the ##k## in ##\vec F = -k\vec x##. So if ##|\vec F|## is a more complicated function like what you have found it here, you simply want the linear development around the equilibrium position.

4. Feb 9, 2017 #3

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

On 2nd reading I wonder if you are already aware of what I posted and are stuck in working out the electric field expression ?
    Not clear what you are doing there. The exercise geves that the charge is at the surface and unfiormly distributed. Looks like the pdf assumes a thin torus (yours is fat).

5. Feb 9, 2017 #4
    I believe we're on the wrong footing here.

My task considers thin torus. Due to the fact that such configuration is composed of filamentary thin rings, I tried integration individual contributions (rings) from inner to outer radius.

6. Feb 9, 2017 #5

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Guy here (page 23) calls ##a/\rho = 5## fat. With ##a/\rho = 3##, yours is 67% fatter !
    Surface charge on the inside is twice as close to the axis as surface charge on the outside !

Or do I have the wrong idea of inner (## r_{\rm inner} = 0.05## m) and outer (## r_{\rm outer} = 0.10## m) radius ?

7. Feb 9, 2017 #6

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Is the shape really a torus (donut-shaped)? If it is, the dimensions given seem to contradict the description that it's thin. Or is it supposed to be a flat ring of charge with the given inner and outer radii?

8. Feb 9, 2017 #7

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

A washout ?!?

This is a torus
    upload_2017-2-9_18-20-28.png

very clear what is meant with a torus in math and physics.

This is a washer (not a very scientific name, but clear enough)
    upload_2017-2-9_18-24-3.png

Attached Files:

9. Feb 13, 2017 #8
    This is the exact shape I was trying to describe. I'm so sorry for ambiguity in definition, English is not m native tongue.

10. Feb 13, 2017 #9

BvU

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Good; makes life easier. Thin disk with a hole in the center it is. I should have been more suspicious when you mentioned a 'wider ring' and called it a torus.
    First expression in post #1 (field of charged ring) looks exactly as the one here , but with ##\ Q\ ## instead of ##\ 2\pi\sigma R' dR' , \ \ ## and -- apart from that -- seems OK to me. This you now want to integrate from ##r_{\rm min}## to ##r_{\rm max}## (instead of from ##0## to ##r_{\rm max}## like here) and there you lose me :

Using my common sense I got something else. Pretty unpleasant, but the first derivative at ##z=0## is what we are after and that should be fairly decent. (In fact, working out the potential instead of the E-field would have been more economical -- hindsight....)

One reason I don't trust your result is that it diverges for ##z=0## wich should not happen. Could you check ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted