1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Particle Shot Tangentially to Surface

1. Oct 19, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A particle mass m is shot tangentially to the surface of a planet mass M radius R0 at 3/4 escape velocity. Determine the maximum radius the particle achieves from the center of the planet

2. Relevant equations
    Escape Velocity : √(2GM/r)
    Energy due to Gravity : -GMm/r2
    F=ma
    Angular Force : F=mv2/r
    Conservation of Angular Momentum : L = r x p or L=mvr

3. The attempt at a solution
    Honestly - the beginning of the attempt is where I'm having the issue = I can't decide if I want to use conservation of energy, conservation of angular momentum.

My thought process tells me alright, the particle is shot at a velocity v0 (3/4 escape velocity). This particle has a force acting upon it - the force due to gravity. I can picture exactly what happens to the particle. it won't be shot out fast enough to reach orbit, it reaches a maximum radius r, and then in a parabolic trajectory falls back down to the planet.

Quite honestly - I feel like it should be a very simple solution, I just can't wrap my head around it. Perhaps a tip to start will give me the momentum to find the solution.

Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 20, 2011 #2

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Centripetal force, not angular force (whatever that means).
    L=mvr sin θ
    You don't need to choose. You have to use both.
    Elliptical trajectory, not parabolic.

4. Oct 20, 2011 #3
    Thank you!

I used conservation of energy

1/2mvo2-C/A=1/2mvf2-C/A

For vf I used conservation of angular momentum to put it into terms of vi

Thanks again!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook