Partition groups into subcollection

In summary: Yes, these are all isomorphisms.In summary, groups S_2 and S_6 are isomorphic, the groups integer_{6} and integer_{2} are isomorphic, the groups real^{+} and real^{*} are isomorphic, and the groups complex^{*} and complex are isomorphic.
kathrynag

Homework Statement

Partition the following collection of groups into subcollections of isomorphic groups. a * superscript means all nonzero elements of the set.
integers under addition
[tex]S_{2}[/tex]
[tex]S_{6}[/tex]
[tex]integer_{6}[/tex]
[tex]integer_{2}[/tex]
[tex]real^{*}[/tex] under multiplication
[tex]real^{+}[/tex] under multiplication
[tex]rational^{*}[/tex] under multiplication
[tex]complex^{*}[/tex] under multiplication
17(integer) under addition
rational under addition
The subgroup (pi) of [tex]real^{*}[/tex] under multiplication
3(integer) under multiplication
real under addition
The subgroup G of [tex]S_{5}[/tex] generated by :
top row:(1 2 3 4 5)
bottom row (3 5 4 1 2)

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i don't understand the question and what this has to do with the permutation chapter in the book.

Physics news on Phys.org
Does this make any sense with the permutation chapter

I'm still clueless on this one. If anyone has any ideas, it would really help. I'm racking my brain and not coming up with anything.

"Partition the following collection of groups into subcollections of isomorphic groups" is just a fancy way of asking which of these groups are isomorphic.

To determine if two groups are isomorphic you can use cardinality (number of elements) as a first hint, if they don't have the same cardinality, they can't be isomorphic. To prove that two groups actually are isomorphic, you need to construct an isomorphism (the exponential function should be helpful in some cases).

so, like s6 and integer6 would have same cardinality?

kathrynag said:
so, like s6 and integer6 would have same cardinality?

No, [tex]S_6[/tex] is a http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Symmetric_group" and has 6!=720 elements, the cyclic group [tex]\mathbb{Z}_6[/tex] on the other hand has only 6 elements.

But try [tex]S_2[/tex] and [tex]\mathbb{Z}_2[/tex].

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, I see since S2 has 2! elements and Z2 has 2 elements

Ok, I have an idea.
I have s2 and z2 as one collection
I have z,3z,17z as one collection
My problem is what to do with the reals, rationals and complex?

kathrynag said:
Ok, I have an idea.
I have s2 and z2 as one collection
I have z,3z,17z as one collection

What is 3z? Is it [tex]\mathbb{Z}_3[/tex]?

My problem is what to do with the reals, rationals and complex?

Think again about cardinality: The rationals are countable, the reals are uncountable. Also consider my hint about the exponential function (Post #4), it relates addition and multiplication.

3z is the set of integers Z times 3.
Ok reals are uncountable. is this true for complex, too?
I'm just having trouble with the exponential; function and how to use it.
Are real* and complex* under multiplication related?

The reals are a subset of the complexes and if the reals are uncountable, then ...

Of course, that doesn't mean they both have the same cardinality.

A further hint about the exponential function: exp(x + y) = exp(x) * exp(y)

then complex are uncountable
ok, ao does that hint say something like reals under addition and real under multiplications are a collection?

kathrynag said:
then complex are uncountable
Good.

ok, ao does that hint say something like reals under addition and real under multiplications are a collection?
You meant to say isomorphic instead of collection, I hope. Can you prove, use exp, that they are isomorphic?

yeah, I meant to say isomorphic.
let x and y be 2 real numbers under addition
Then exp(x+y)=exp(x)*exp(y)

Ok still having trouble.
I'm saying R^+, R is one isomorphism
C*,R* is one isomorphism
Q,Q* is one isomorphism

Is this correct?

1. What is the purpose of partitioning groups into subcollections?

Partitioning groups into subcollections allows for better organization and management of data. It can help to identify patterns or relationships within the data, and make it easier to retrieve specific information when needed.

2. How do you decide on the criteria for partitioning groups?

The criteria for partitioning groups will depend on the specific research question or goal of the study. It could be based on similarities or differences between the data, such as geographic location, time period, or characteristics of the subjects.

3. Can partitioning groups into subcollections affect the results of a study?

Yes, partitioning groups into subcollections can impact the results of a study. By dividing the data into smaller groups, it can change the overall distribution and characteristics of the data. This could potentially lead to different conclusions or findings.

4. What are some common methods for partitioning groups into subcollections?

There are various methods for partitioning groups into subcollections, such as clustering, stratification, and factor analysis. These methods involve grouping the data based on certain criteria or characteristics, and can be done manually or using computer software.

5. Are there any drawbacks to partitioning groups into subcollections?

One potential drawback of partitioning groups into subcollections is the loss of information. When dividing data into smaller groups, there may be some data points that do not fit into any specific subcollection. Additionally, if the criteria for partitioning is not chosen carefully, it could lead to biased or misleading results.