Pass math course with proofs by memorization?

In summary, the student is struggling with their probability and mathematical statistics course, as they have not been taught how to write proofs. Many students, including the speaker, failed the exam because they were forced to memorize proofs from lecture notes. The speaker questions the effectiveness of memorization and asks for advice on how to improve their understanding of the course material. They also express frustration with having to memorize theorems instead of being allowed to use notes during exams. The speaker acknowledges the importance of practicing proof writing and seeks guidance on how to improve their skills.
Doplersleg
I'm studying applied physics and I am currently in my second semester of the second year. I now have a probability and mathematical statistics course which is causing me a problem.
Although I had lots of math prior to this course, none of it actually required writing proofs. Yet the spring semester came and we were required to write lots of them. The problem is- no one did teach us how to do that and the professor is really bad at explaining even the basic concepts of the course, or he really does not care much (I am not the only one having difficulty- most of the students do, and I mean most).
And so we had an exam- many of us including myself failed. Those who passed the exam memorized from lecture notes (they told me) and those who memorized or learned from other sources failed. Thus, the professor forces us to memorize proofs from the lecture notes and he even told me that, although indirectly. And this is where I would like to ask a question:
How could one possibly write proofs by memorization? What should I do? I feel like I've gained almost nothing from this course and just wasted my time.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's a bit unusual, seeing/doing proofs for the first time in a statistics course...

Well, why wouldn't it be possible to memorize proofs? Of course, if you understand a proof a can do it from scratch, it's better. But if you don't (perhaps because of lack of time), you can just try to memorize line by line all the words, and then write exactly that at your exam.

Depends on what you mean by "Hes asking us to write proofs" THat could mean he just wants you regurgitate a proof that he's already given you. It could also mean he asks you to prove something using theorem that you should know.

It certainly is pointless to just have to memorize the proofs. Just because you memorize a math proof doesn't mean you know what the theorem is stating, it doesn't mean that you can actually use that theorem for something useful. My guess is that you are being asked to prove something, using theorems youve learned.

Ive never been a fan of memorization, and I don't know how it is in most uni's math programs, but at mine, I've yet to have a math class where we were allowed a sheet of notes, so we have to memorize theorems (even if we don't have to memorize the proof to that theorem).I hate that. I hate having to waste time memorize every freaking theorem and I always miss one or two (or properties of of a few) and it always costs me HUGE.

My gripe aside, you SHOULD spend time writing down the theorems, studying them and making sure you understand what they mean. If you arent not used to writing proofs the you should also study how your text (or teacher) proves the theorems. Writing a proof isn't hard, but it IS EASY to mess them up. If youve never written proofs, math notation may be really hard to follow until youve seen enough proofs that the "language" starts becoming your second language.

THe only way to get good at writing proofs is to practice alot. WHenever you see an exercise in your text that says "Prove that is..." do the exercise. If you are unsure about your reasoning then just come on here ask the guys here if you are on the right path. But practice practice practice.

1. How can I pass a math course that requires proofs by memorization?

To pass a math course that requires proofs by memorization, it is important to first understand the material. Take the time to read through the proofs and make sure you understand the logic behind each step. Then, practice memorizing the proofs by writing them out multiple times and reciting them aloud. It may also be helpful to create flashcards or use mnemonic devices to aid in memorization.

2. What is the best way to approach memorizing proofs?

The best way to approach memorizing proofs is to break them down into smaller, manageable parts. Start by understanding each individual step and then connecting them together. It may also be helpful to create visual aids, such as diagrams or flowcharts, to help you remember the logical sequence of the proof.

3. Can I rely solely on memorization to pass a math course with proofs?

No, relying solely on memorization may not be enough to pass a math course with proofs. While memorization is an important aspect, it is also essential to understand the concepts and logic behind the proofs. Make sure to spend time practicing and applying the proofs to different problems to solidify your understanding.

4. How can I improve my memory for memorizing proofs?

Improving your memory for memorizing proofs can be achieved through practice and repetition. Take breaks between study sessions to allow your brain to process and retain the information. Additionally, incorporating mnemonic devices, such as acronyms or rhymes, can be effective in aiding memory retention.

5. Are there any other tips for passing a math course with proofs by memorization?

In addition to understanding and memorizing the proofs, it is important to stay organized and manage your time effectively. Make a study schedule and stick to it, and seek help from your professor or classmates if you are struggling with a particular proof. Additionally, make sure to get enough rest and stay focused during exams to perform your best.