Liquid7800
- 76
- 0
Homework Statement
The problem is stated as such:
"Find the Vector Equation of the line that forms a right angle with the lines":
L1:{(3,3,4) + t<2,2,3>}
L2:{(1,6,-1) + k<-1,2,0>}
where t and k are some scalar parameters
Homework Equations
Assuming knlowlede of vector form/notation for the equation of a line; dot product, etc.
The Attempt at a Solution
let L3 be the line intersecting L1 and L2
We begin by establishing a relation between L3 and (L1 and L2)
Since L3 is perpendicular to L1 their dot product is,
L3 *L1 = 0 OR < 2,2,3 > * < a1, a2, a3 > //// where < a1, a2, a3 > is the unknown direction vector of L3
Thus we can write the linear equation,
2a1 + 2a2 +3a3 = 0
Similarily,
L3 is perpendicular to L2 so,
L3 *L2 = 0 OR < -1,2,0 > * < a1, a2, a3 > //// where < a1, a2, a3 > is the unknown direction vector of L3
Thus,
-a1 + 2a2 = 0
With our two linear equations, we can set up a system to find the direction vector for L3 such as,
2a1 + 2a2 +3a3 = 0
-(-a1 + 2a2 = 0) ///where we take the difference here
--------------------
[FONT="Courier New"]3a[SUB]1[/SUB] + 3a[SUB]3[/SUB] = 0
Solving for a[SUB]1[/SUB] we get,
[SIZE="3"][FONT="Courier New"]a[SUB]1[/SUB] = -a[SUB]3[/SUB]
Now we use a[SUB]1[/SUB] to get a[SUB]3[/SUB] in equation : [FONT="Courier New"][SIZE="3"]-a[SUB]1[/SUB] + 2a[SUB]2[/SUB] = 0
[SIZE="3"][FONT="Courier New"]-(-a[SUB]3[/SUB]) + 2a[SUB]2[/SUB] = 0 , and solving we get
[SIZE="3"][FONT="Courier New"]a[SUB]3[/SUB] = -2a[SUB]2[/SUB]
Thus if [SIZE="3"][FONT="Courier New"]a[SUB]1[/SUB] = -a[SUB]3[/SUB] and a[SUB]3[/SUB] = -2a[SUB]2[/SUB] then ---> the direction vector for L[SUB]3[/SUB] is after factoring is
---[1]---[SIZE="3"][FONT="Courier New"]L[SUB]3[/SUB] : { (, , ,) + s< 2,1,-2 > }| where s = a[SUB]2[/SUB]
[SIZE="5"][I]---------Part B, Now to find the Passing Point,[/I]
My questions are at this point...
I ve tried setting up a system to find the intersection of say L[SUB]1[/SUB] and L[SUB]3[/SUB] to produce my 'passing point' for L[SUB]3[/SUB], however I can't get ANY system to produce a vaule for 's' and 't' that satisfy the equations...
For example this system produces no answer
[SIZE="3"][FONT="Courier New"]L[SUB]1[/SUB] : { (3,3,4) + t<2,2,3>}
L[SUB]3[/SUB] : {(3 +2t, 3+2t, 4 +3t) + s <2,1,-2> } |Where the direction vector comes from [1]
we then put
[SIZE="3"][FONT="Courier New"]L[SUB]1[/SUB]
x= 3 + 2t
y= 3 + 2t
z= 4 + 3t
L[SUB]3[/SUB]
x= 3 + 2t + 2s
y= 3 + 2t + s
z= 4 + 3t - 2s
and we set them to each other---but no answer.
Ive tried various combinations to no avail such as:
[FONT="Courier New"][SIZE="3"]3 + 2t = 1-t + 2s
3 + 2t = 6 + 2t + s
4 + 3t = -1 -2s
And I still can't get a 's' and 't' to satisfy the systems--therby producing an intersection point of L[SUB]1[/SUB] and L[SUB]3[/SUB]...
The closest I've gotten is 13 = -13 or -4 = 5 or 5 = 15...for values of s=6 and t = -3 or s = -3 and t = -8/3...etc. I've been at this awhile so any help would be great.
I feel I am close to getting this problem...can anyone help point out what I am doing wrong--or what I am missing?
If anything is unclear let me know.
Thanks