1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Vector equation of a plane containing this line.

1. Jun 27, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

What is the vector equation of a plane that contains the line y=(3,2,1)+x(1,0,2) and is parallel to the z-axis?

2. Relevant equations

Equation of a plane: Ax + By + Cz + D = 0

3. The attempt at a solution

Ok so i substitute the values into the plane,
    A(1)+B(0)+C(2)+D=0

But then I am left with 3 variables. Can you please offer some help?

Kind Regards,

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 27, 2012 #2

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

welcome to pf!

hi manmachine! welcome to pf! :smile:

sorry, but i don't understand what you're doing at all :redface:

the easiest way of finding the equation is probably first to find the normal to the plane …

what will that be? :wink:

(and i think the question probably means the parametric equation v = (3,2,1) + t(1,0,2))

4. Jun 27, 2012 #3
    Re: welcome to pf!

Yes but I don't know what the plane is. :redface: I know that the normal is the coefficients if the plane. Please help.

5. Jun 27, 2012 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Why do you substitute those values? Those would be the components of a vector in the plane, not the coordinates of any point in the plane. (3, 2, 1) is a point in the plane. Setting x= 3, y= 2, z= 1, we have 3A+2B+ C+ D= 0.

Also, it is not a good idea to use "x" and "y" in that equation for the plane. In that vector equation "x" is a parameter, not the x- coordinate and "y" is a vector. Better to use, say, r= (3, 2, 1)+ t(1, 0, 2).

In that form, you can always divide through by any non=zero coefficient so you really have only two variables left. To eliminate one, use the fact that the plane is parallel to the z-axis. That means that the normal to the plane is also normal to the z-axis. That is, <0, 0, 1>.<A, B, C>= C= 0.

6. Jun 27, 2012 #5
    And yes, but how can I find the normal if don't have to vector equations IAXBI?

7. Jun 27, 2012 #6

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

hi manmachine! :smile:
    yes, but you do know the directions of two lines that the normal is perpendicular to, don't you? :wink:

8. Jun 27, 2012 #7
    There is only one line Tim! I can't use cross product :(

9. Jun 27, 2012 #8

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

z-axis? :smile:

10. Jun 27, 2012 #9
    oh fudge :P (bangs head on wall)
    So it is 0,1,0 by cross product right?

11. Jun 27, 2012 #10

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

he he! :biggrin:
    uhh? :confused:

12. Jun 27, 2012 #11
    Isn't that the normal to plane?

13. Jun 27, 2012 #12

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

(0,1,0) is the y-axis, and is normal to the xz-plane :confused:

14. Jun 27, 2012 #13
    If I take the cross product of the z-axis (being 0,0,1) and our vector (1,0,2) this is what i get.

15. Jun 27, 2012 #14

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

oh i see!! :rolleyes:

ok, now you know the normal to the plane, and you know at least one point on the plane,

so the vector equation of the plane is … ? :smile:

16. Jun 27, 2012 #15
    Am i right :)?

Take coefficents
    0a+1b+0c+D=0
    (0)(3)+(1)(1)+D=0
    d=-1

This equation of our is plane is this:
    b+-1=0 ?

17. Jun 27, 2012 #16

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

shouldn't there be a 2 in there somewhere? :confused:
    what happened to x y and z ? :confused:

don't make it so complicated

you know it's vertical, and parallel to the xz-plane, so it must be y = constant

ok, what is obviously that constant?? :smile:

18. Jun 27, 2012 #17
    I have no idea :p

19. Jun 27, 2012 #18
    What do I do next . I am sorry I just dont get it

20. Jun 27, 2012 #19

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

This is very peculiar. You say that you know that any plane can be written as Ax+ By+ Cz+ D= 0. It has already been pointed out that you an divide through by any number, say, D, to reduce to three unknown constants, A'x+ B'y+ C'z+ 1= 0 (with A'
    = A/D etc.). If the line given by the vector formula r= (3,2,1)+t(1,0,2) or parametric equations x= 3+ t, y= 2, z= 1+ 2t. In particular, taking t= 0, (3, 2, 1) is a point in the plane so we must have 3A'+ 2B'+ C'+ 1= 0.

Also, taking t= 1, (3+ 1, 2+ 0, 1+ 2)= (4, 2, 3) is also a point in the plane. so we must have 4A'+ 2B'+ 3C'+ 1= 0.

The last condition is that the plane is parallel to the z-axis. That means that its normal vector, <A, B, C> or <A', B', C'> is normal to <0, 0, 1>. Their dot product gives C= C'= 0 and so we have the two equations -3A'- 2B'- 1= 0 and 4A'+ 2B'+ 1= 0.

By the way, I find it simpler to use the fact that if a plane has normal vector <A, B, C> and contains point [itex](x_0, y_0, z_0)[/itex], then the plane has equation [itex]A(x- x_0)+ B(y- y_0)+ C(z- z_0)= 0[/itex].

21. Jun 27, 2012 #20

tiny-tim

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

you know that the plane is y = constant

you also know that (3,2,1) lies on the plane

soooo, y must be … ? :smile:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook