Utility of path integral formulation of quantum mechanics

In summary, the path integral formulation of quantum mechanics makes manifest aspects of quantum mechanics such as symmetries by allowing for a sum over all possible paths and identifying the important paths through destructive interference and the principle of least action. This formulation also helps with the derivation of Noether's theorem and Ward identities, and allows for the study of phase transitions through fluctuations about the classical solution.
spaghetti3451
How does the path integral formulation of quantum mechanics as given by ##\langle q_{f}|e^{-iHt/\hbar}|q_{i}\rangle = \int \mathcal{D}q(t)\ e^{iS[q]/\hbar}## make manifest aspects of quantum mechanics such as symmetries?

Physics news on Phys.org
failexam said:
How does the path integral formulation of quantum mechanics as given by ##\langle q_{f}|e^{-iHt/\hbar}|q_{i}\rangle = \int \mathcal{D}q(t)\ e^{iS[q]/\hbar}## make manifest aspects of quantum mechanics such as symmetries?
Insofar as we define a symmetry to be a group of transformations that does not alter the physics - won't these will be inherited from ##H## ?

The symmetries are not inherent in the Hamiltonian formulation i.e. the Hamiltonian.

But they are manifest in the Lagrangian formulation.

The question is why?

Likes bhobba
failexam said:
The question is why?

Noethers theorem requires the PLA to work. The path integral formulation explains why that is. The interesting thing is quantum theories are expressible in that form . Why is probably trying to tell us something imoportant.

Thanks
bBill

What is PLA?

Likes vanhees71
failexam said:
What is PLA?
Principle of Least Action.

bhobba said:
Noethers theorem requires the PLA to work. The path integral formulation explains why that is. The interesting thing is quantum theories are expressible in that form . Why is probably trying to tell us something imoportant.

Thanks
bBill

I understand that Noether's theorem requires the principle of least action to work (since the derivation of Noether's Theorem uses the Euler-Lagrange equations and the Euler-Lagrange equations follow from the principle of least action).

But I don't quite see how the path integral formulation of quantum field theory explains why the principle of least action is required for Noether's theorem to work.

failexam said:
I understand that Noether's theorem requires the principle of least action to work (since the derivation of Noether's Theorem uses the Euler-Lagrange equations and the Euler-Lagrange equations follow from the principle of least action).

But I don't quite see how the path integral formulation of quantum field theory explains why the principle of least action is required for Noether's theorem to work.

I think that it's that the path integral formulation explains (in some sense) the principle of least action. When you sum amplitudes over all possible paths, you get destructive interference for paths where the amplitude is very sensitive to the path (a small change in the path makes a big change in the amplitude), so the important paths are those where the amplitude is stationary (a small change in the path makes a negligible change to the amplitude). The paths where the amplitude is stationary are the classical paths--the ones you would get by the principle of least action.

failexam said:

Mathematics is a language. Sometimes it can be translated into English, mostly it cant. This is very likely one of the mostly - its a requirement of the theorem and mathematical reasoning (ie logic) requires conservation laws to follow from symmetry principles. If you try for anything 'English' like you will likely get nowhere.

Thanks
Bill

Likes vanhees71
failexam said:
The symmetries are not inherent in the Hamiltonian formulation i.e. the Hamiltonian.

But they are manifest in the Lagrangian formulation.

The question is why?

In classical mechanics, there is a "Hamiltonian Noether's theorem" https://ncatlab.org/nlab/show/Noether's+theorem

In quantum mechanics, the Lagrangian formalism provides an easy way to write Hamiltonians that respect symmetries. However, you can just think of it as a tool to write Hamiltonians. The quantum Lagrangian formalism and the saddle point approximation give you the classical principle of least action.

Likes Demystifier and vanhees71
stevendaryl said:
... When you sum amplitudes over all possible paths, you get destructive interference for paths where the amplitude is very sensitive to the path (a small change in the path makes a big change in the amplitude), so the important paths are those where the amplitude is stationary (a small change in the path makes a negligible change to the amplitude)...

Yes, that is the usual textbook explanation. But it has always seemed inadequate to me. A more convincing argument for me is that the infinite number of non-classical path unit phase vectors must have a uniform phase distribution between 0 and 2π. So they would indeed all sum to zero, leaving only those aligned with the classical path phase.

(Maybe this should be the start of a new thread? Don't know how to do that. Sorry.)

Likes Wizard
It's as with the usual method to evaluate integrals with the "method of steepest descent", leading to asymptotic series: You can deform the path in the complex plane such that from a quickly oscillatory behavior you come to a steeply falling function along the deformed path.

Likes bhobba
It is also very useful for deriving the Ward identities for currents which are somewhat like the quantum version of Noether's theorem and provide restrictions on your theory. This is important in diagrammatics in QFT. Also, the path integral makes clear that the classical solution is just the saddle point solution and you can easily evaluate fluctuations about the saddle to study phase transitions.

Likes vanhees71

1. What is the path integral formulation of quantum mechanics?

The path integral formulation is a mathematical framework used to describe the behavior of quantum mechanical systems. It involves calculating the probability amplitude for a particle to move from one point to another by summing over all possible paths the particle could take.

2. How is the path integral formulation useful in quantum mechanics?

The path integral formulation allows for the calculation of complex quantum mechanical systems that would be difficult to solve using traditional methods. It also allows for the incorporation of quantum corrections and interactions between particles, making it a useful tool for studying a wide range of physical phenomena.

3. What are the advantages of using the path integral formulation?

One of the main advantages of the path integral formulation is its ability to handle systems with many interacting particles. It also provides a more intuitive and visual understanding of quantum mechanics, as it involves summing over all possible paths a particle could take.

4. Are there any limitations to the path integral formulation?

The path integral formulation can be computationally intensive and may not always provide exact solutions for complex systems. It also relies on the assumption that time is continuous, which may not be accurate at very small scales. Additionally, it may not be as useful for systems with a large number of particles.

5. How is the path integral formulation related to other formulations of quantum mechanics?

The path integral formulation is mathematically equivalent to other formulations of quantum mechanics, such as the Schrödinger equation and the Heisenberg picture. However, it offers a different perspective and can provide insight into the behavior of quantum systems that may not be apparent in other formulations.