1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Path integrals important for undergrads to know?

1. Jun 2, 2013 #1
    I'm going through a whole undergrad quantum book (Townsend) by myself. It has a chapter on path integral QM.

He said in the intro that it can be skipped, but I was wondering if knowledge of this subject is immediately helpful when starting graduate level quantum. I start grad school in the fall and I don't know if I should dedicate a week to the introduction of path integrals, especially if most others won't know it.

I'm pressed for time because I've got 6 chapters left in this book and then 10 E&M chapters. 16 chapters in 12 weeks...

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 2, 2013 #2
    Most graduate students I know did not see path integrals as an undergraduate.

It would have been useful just because it such an insightful formulation.

If you want a rapid, incomplete, primer to path integrals you could just read lectures 14 & 15 in these notes.

http://www.nyu.edu/classes/tuckerman/stat.mech/lectures.html

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook