1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Path-ordered product in parallel transport

1. Feb 11, 2006 #1
    I'm reading about bundes and connections but I cannot get past a little problem involving path-ordered exponentials. I hope someone can help me out. I'll try to state the problem as well as possible with plain text LaTeX. My question is just this: How does the the integral (of a general non-commuting matrix function A, such as a connection) like this,

\int_{t\ge t_1\ge \ldots \ge t_n \ge 0} A(t_1)\ldotsA(t_n) dt_n\ldots dt_1

become,

\frac{1}{n!} \int{t_i\in [0,1]} \mathcal{P}A(t_1)\ldotsA(t_n) dt_n\ldots dt_1

where \mathcalP} is the path-ordered product operator, and how does this path-ordered integral become,

\frac{1}{n!} \mathcal{P} \left( \int_0^t A(s) ds \right)

???
    Background: the first integral arises when one constructs for example an iterated solution to a simple first-order matrix DE, du/dt = -A(t)u(t), whereby A(t1) need not commute with A(t2).

I can see how the latter conversion can be made if the multiple integral $\int{t_i\in [0,1]}...$ can be taken as a product of $n$ decoupled integrals. But I do not quite see how the $1/n!$ arises in the first conversion from the coupled multiple integral to the decoupled path-ordered multiple integral. I've tried integration by parts, Taylor expansion, and a few other tricks, including staring at the integrals for a long time! I'm missing a basic clue though.

I think I can take the final result and differentiate to prove that it solves the matrix DE that arises in the parallel transport equation for a vector say $u$ on a bundle fibre,

d u(t) / dt + A(t) u(t) = 0

where $A$ is the connection for the covariant derivative along a path. The solution is obviously,

u(t) = \mathcal{P} \exp^{-\int_0^t A(s) ds} u(0)

It's just bugging the heck out of me that I cannot figure out how to construct the formal path-ordered exponential solution without resorting to "guess the answer and back-substitute".

muchos gracias in advance for any hints/help.

---
    NotAStudentButAPerpetualSeeker

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 11, 2006 #2

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

If you put the tags:

[ tex ] [ /tex ]

around your LaTeX, the forum software will produce the corresponding LaTeX images. (Omit the spaces, of course) If you want to inline them in a paragraph, use [ itex ] and [ /itex ] instead.

4. Feb 11, 2006 #3

Hurkyl

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

There is an obvious map from the set of all n-long sequences onto the set of all nondecreasing n-long sequenes, right? How many times is each such nondecreasing n-long sequence counted?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?