Path to be an Earth Science teacher

  • #1
I'm currently a weather forecaster for the US Air Force with my Community College of The Air Force Degree (equal to an associates) in Weather Technology. I would like to use my current knowledge to become an Earth Science teacher for grades 7-12. I currently live in Tucson, AZ and right now can only do distance learning. Can someone help me as to where I should start as far as an education path? I don't have a university in mind just yet. Thank you in advance.
Last edited:
  • #2
A lot would depend upon the state in which you ultimately want to teach as well as the school you plan to attend. For example, in Ohio, you would need to take a certain number of Earth science classes for Ohio State's Masters in Education program, the only program they have that leads to a teaching license. In other Ohio schools, you can do it with a B.S. in the discipline. Other states would have different requirements. I would suggest contacting the education department of several of the schools you might want to attend for more information.
  • #3
I don't think there are many (if any) "distance learning" paths to teacher certification/licensure. Why? Typically part of the teacher-education process (such as a Masters of Education in Classroom Teaching) requires time spent in the classroom under the supervision of an experienced teacher... in the form of observation and student-teaching.

In some areas of extreme-need, there are alternative routes where one can be working on an education degree while co-teaching in a "pod" with teacher who are experienced (but it would probably require a completed BS degree in some field -- which is often a state requirement for substitute teachers).

Since licensure/certification is state-based (in order to qualify for national certification tests you must have already been a practicing teacher for a number of years), you need to probably look at the requirements from your state board of education and also contact the Schools/Departments of Education at colleges and universities in your state." [Broken] Also look into your state's requirement for substitute teachers, since alternative processes (such as co-teaching while working on the education certification) also often will look for you to at least get a substitute teaching license.

Note: I also admire you for your service in the Air Force... I used to be associated with AFRL/WPAFB -- although only in a civilian capacity. In my experience, former military were often looked upon favorably in teacher education and employment processes.
Last edited by a moderator:

Suggested for: Path to be an Earth Science teacher