Paul Davies says string theory is patently false

In summary, Paul Davies is an expert on string theory and he does not believe that it is true. He said that other models are possible and that physicists should be discussing them. He does not think that string theory should be funded the way it is because there are other models that could be more accurate.
bobsmith76
In a youtube video Paul Davies Beyond Belief,

he said that string theory and M theory were so obviously and patently false that he didn't even bother to discuss them. I thought Lee Smolin was the only critic of string theory I didn't know that Paul Davies was one too. How much weight does Paul Davies' voice carry in the physics community?I put this thread in Beyond the Standard Model because it discusses string theory.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
bobsmith76 said:
he said that string theory and M theory were so obviously and patently false that he didn't even bother to discuss them.

Sounds sort of like a preventive tactic, designed to make anyone who wishes to oppose that view come off as being naive or foolish, in the eyes of outsiders... No more explanation was given, at least in the three video parts I watched.

I thought Lee Smolin was the only critic of string theory

There are plenty of critics of string theory.

Last edited:
String theory is not patently false. It is a tentative theory for everything, the best we have yet) which should not be accepted as fact yet. To say that it is simply false is just as bad as those who simply say its correct. We don't know if it is or isn't, only time will tell when its confirmed or disregarded for a theory that works better.

Whether the study of ST should be funded the way it is is a matter of politics. Whether there are better models out there is a debate physicists should be having and I think they are. For now high energy theorists work with what they can until hopefully new physics starts showing up or some headway is made with these various models.

1. What is string theory?

String theory is a theoretical framework in physics that attempts to unify all of the fundamental forces and particles in the universe by describing them as vibrations of tiny, one-dimensional strings.

2. Why does Paul Davies say that string theory is patently false?

Paul Davies, a theoretical physicist and cosmologist, argues that string theory is patently false because it has not yet been experimentally proven and lacks the ability to make testable predictions.

3. What are the implications of string theory being false?

If string theory is proven to be false, it would mean that the current understanding of the universe is incorrect and would require a new theoretical framework to explain the fundamental forces and particles.

4. Is string theory still being researched and studied?

Yes, string theory is still an active area of research and study. While it has not yet been experimentally proven, many scientists are still exploring its potential and trying to find ways to test its predictions.

5. Are there any alternative theories to string theory?

Yes, there are alternative theories to string theory such as loop quantum gravity and causal dynamical triangulation. These theories also aim to unify the fundamental forces and particles but use different approaches.