Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Clarification on key concepts of string theory

1. Mar 17, 2015 #1
    I've been tasked with giving a presentation on any subject i like to my undergraduate physics class.
    Inspired by a recent lecture i attended by David Tong i have chosen to do a quick (10 minute) overview of the current state of theories beyond the standard model, obviously aimed at being understandable by the group.

I was looking for clarification of something that Dr. Tong said (this is not an exact quote):

"A very peculiar aspect of string theory is that there are aspects of the mathematics involved that can lead you to all the equations of relativity and mechanics"

I was under the impression that he meant that they could come from the same algebraic root, unless this is similar to the fluid dynamics- gravitation correspondance where the equations of relativity with a negative cosmological constant reduce to the relativistic generalisations of the navier-stokes equations.(source)

I'll insert a caveat here in that my knowlege of the mathematics involved is limited at the moment and that i could be mistaken about the fluidics-gravitation correspondance and its significance and that Dr. Tongs lecture was obviously aimed at the semi-layman so his quote may not be entirely representative of what actually happens mathematically.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 18, 2015 #2

jedishrfu

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook