1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pauli's Wave Mechanics text. h vs. hbar

1. Dec 16, 2008 #1
    In this little Dover book "Wave mechanics", by Pauli, it appears to use h for hbar, and includes a footnote right on the very first page

"1. In these lectures we use the symbol h to denote the quanity 1.05 x 10^-34 joule.sec. In the older literature this quantity was usually denoted by [itex]\hbar[/itex]"

However, this is what I've seen in the newer literature too. Are the definitions of these constants in a state of flux?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2008 #2

f95toli

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, [tex] \hbar [/tex] should always represent Planck's constant divided by 2 pi in modern text.
    I don't think I've ever encountered an example where someone has specifically used [tex]h[/tex] instead of [tex]\hbar[/tex] or vice versa. There are, however, examples of texts where the author is ex. ignoring factors of 2pi etc simply because they are interested in order-of-magnitude estimates and factors of the order of one does one matter.

Also, note that formulas where CGS electromagnetic units are used often differ by a factor of 2pi compared to the equivalent formulas in SI (and there are plenty of examples of papers where the authors have added/removed a 2pi too many).

4. Dec 16, 2008 #3

dlgoff

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?