Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pauli's Wave Mechanics text. h vs. hbar

1. Dec 16, 2008 #1
    In this little Dover book "Wave mechanics", by Pauli, it appears to use h for hbar, and includes a footnote right on the very first page

"1. In these lectures we use the symbol h to denote the quanity 1.05 x 10^-34 joule.sec. In the older literature this quantity was usually denoted by [itex]\hbar[/itex]"

However, this is what I've seen in the newer literature too. Are the definitions of these constants in a state of flux?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 16, 2008 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

No, [tex] \hbar [/tex] should always represent Planck's constant divided by 2 pi in modern text.
    I don't think I've ever encountered an example where someone has specifically used [tex]h[/tex] instead of [tex]\hbar[/tex] or vice versa. There are, however, examples of texts where the author is ex. ignoring factors of 2pi etc simply because they are interested in order-of-magnitude estimates and factors of the order of one does one matter.

Also, note that formulas where CGS electromagnetic units are used often differ by a factor of 2pi compared to the equivalent formulas in SI (and there are plenty of examples of papers where the authors have added/removed a 2pi too many).
  4. Dec 16, 2008 #3

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?