1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Pdf of the sum of two distributions

1. Mar 21, 2006 #1
    I'm not too sure where to post this so feel free to move it :)

Anyway I'm hoping someone could explain the answer of this problem to me (I would ask my lecturer but he's conveniently away for the week for a meeting).

Suppose X and Y are iid continuous random variables with density f. Then X+Y has density:

f_X+Y(z) = integral from infinity to neg infinity of f(x)f(z-x)dx

which is the convolution of the densities of X and Y.

Use this to determine the pdf (probability density function) and distribution function of X+Y when X and Y are iid U(0,1). (independently and identically distributed, Uniform(0,1)).

The answer starts by showing the region where f(x)f(z-x) is non-zero ie the area between z-x=0 and z-x=1 (and I understand this part, if X and Y are uniform, the sum will be 0 outside (0,2)). It then says that the density function is:

For 0<z<1
    f_X+Y(z) = (integral from z to 0 of 1dx) = (x evaluated at z and 0) = z.

For 1<z<2
    f_X+Y(z) = (integral from 1 to z-1 of 1dx) = (x evaluated at 1 and z-1) = 2-z.

I don't understand why for 1<z<2, the integral is from 1 to z-1? Where did these boundaries come from?

The other part is the distribution function which is supposedly:

For 0<z<1
    F_X+Y(z) = (integral from z to 0 of wdw) = (w^2/2 evaluated at z and 0) = z^2/2

For 1<z<2
    F_X+Y(z) = (integral from z to 0 of f_X+Y(w)dw) = (integral from 1 to 0 of f_X+Y(w)dw + integral from z to 0 of f_X+Y(w)dw)
    = (integral from 1 to 0 of wdw + integral from z to 1 of (2-w)dw) = 1^2/2 + (2w-w^2/2) evaluated at z and 1)
    = 1/2 + (2z-z^2/2)-(2-1/2) = 2z-z^2/2-1

Again, I'm having problems with where the numbers in the integral came from when 1<z<2.

Sorry for the hard read >_< I can't seem to preview the latex images and since I don't know how to use them very well I thought I could do without...
  2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?