1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Peak Electron Number Density of a Beam

1. Feb 16, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Consider what happens as a parallel beam of non-relativistic electrons with beam radius a is injected as a current I into a region of vacuum after acceleration through a voltage difference V. If the radial profile of the beam can be described as

p=p0 cos([itex]\frac{\pi r^2}{2a^2}[/itex])​

where ρ is the charge density, find an expression for ρ0 in terms of parameters a, V and I and hence determine the peak electron number density N0 in the beam.

2. Relevant equations

∇.E=p/ε0
    ∫ ∇.E dV = ∫ E dS
    V=∫E dl
    p=dQ/dV

3. The attempt at a solution

My attempt was first substituting in the charge density into Gauss's equation to give

∇.E=p00 cos([itex]\frac{\pi r^2}{2a^2}[/itex])

Then substituting this into the second equation gives

∫ p00 cos([itex]\frac{\pi r^2}{2a^2}[/itex]) dV = ∫ E dS

Using p=dQ/dV i got rid of the dV to give;

Q00 cos([itex]\frac{\pi r^2}{2a^2}[/itex]) = ∫ E dS

and since this is a radial beam then dS=4[itex]\pi[/itex]r2 which gives;

E=Q0/4[itex]\pi[/itex]r2ε0 cos([itex]\frac{\pi r^2}{2a^2}[/itex])

Using the potential equation V=∫E dl we can find the potential, however i haven't got that far to calculate due to the fact it feels like i'm going in the wrong direction. What do you's think?

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 17, 2013 #2
    Does anyone have any advice to point me in the right direction?

4. Feb 17, 2013 #3

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

The charge density looks strange. That cos() expression does not vanish for large r, so you magically convert a well-defined beam into something that spreads out in the whole volume, with positive and negative densities?
    Should we assume that this expression is valid for r<a only?

In that case: Current is the same before and after acceleration. If you integrate your density over the beam profile, this number is related to current via the velocity of the electrons. Current/Charge conservation could be enough to solve the problem.

5. Feb 17, 2013 #4
    I think it would safe assume that it is for r<a. I think you're right with the theory, i'll try it out anyways and see how it goes from there, thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook