Peak of the amplitude resonance curve

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
16 replies · 3K views
horserider37
Messages
7
Reaction score
2
Thread moved from the technical forums to the schoolwork forums
Hi everyone, I'm stuck on how to show the peak of the amplitude resonance curve is at wd = w0√(1-1/2Q^2), where Q = w0/γ. My first instinct is to take a derivative of something and set = 0, but what eqn?Help?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
You are quoting a whole bunch of symbols. In what equation(s) do these symbols appear?

Is this a homework problem or part thereof?
 
It's part of a textbook problem.

It's damped and driven harmonic oscillators - there's lots of equations but I think the relevant ones are x''+γx'+(w0^2)x=F/m(cos(wdt))
and
amplitude = A(wd)=(F/m)/√(((w0^2-wd^2)^2)+((γwd)^2))

but maybe there's others? I just confused in general. I don't know that I understand what the problem is asking.
 
I will rewrite the amplitude equation in LaTeX (which you should learn how to use) and maybe you can see what's going on. $$A(\omega_d)=\frac{F/m}{\sqrt{(\omega_0^2-\omega_d)^2+(\gamma\omega_d)^2 }}.$$Can you just look at this expression and figure out for what value of ##\omega_d## it is maximized?
 
horserider37 said:
Hi everyone, I'm stuck on how to show the peak of the amplitude resonance curve is at wd = w0√(1-1/2Q^2), where Q = w0/γ. My first instinct is to take a derivative of something and set = 0, but what eqn?Help?
I'll assume that because you want to set a derivative equal to 0, you recognize that the word "peak" means maximum. What does "amplitude resonance curve" refer to? Answer that and you'll know what the problem is asking for.
 
$$A(\omega_d)=\frac{F/m}{\sqrt{(\omega_0^2-\omega_d^2)^2+(\frac{\omega_0}{Q}\omega_d)^2 }}.$$

I think that's right. There was a missing square in your eqn.

No, I can't tell. Should I be able to? I feel like I'm missing something stupidly easy.
 
When the denominator is smallest, right?. But how do I go from that to that formula?
 
Going by "when the denominator is smallest" does not work in this case because you have two terms in the denominator with ##\omega_d##. When ##\omega_d## increases, the first term in the denominator decreases while the second increases. Is there another, safer way to maximize the fraction as you vary ##\omega_d##?
 
I'm not sure what you mean by that. Like $$\omega_d<\omega_0$$ even as ##\omega_d## varies?
 
@horserider37 If you found a y on one side and an x on the other, would that take you into more familiar territory? dsomething by dsomethingelse is what you are after(?).
 
Hi @horserider37. I suspect you might benefit from a couple of hints.

To maximise ##A(\omega_d)## you need to find the value of ##\omega_d## which minimises the denominator in the RHS of your equation. For this purpose, the square root in the denominator can be ignored - do you see why?

So you need to find the value of ##\omega_d## which minimises
##(\omega_0^2-\omega_d^2)^2####+(\frac{\omega_0}{Q}\omega_d)^2##

If we use some different symbols, the problem can be more familiarly expressed as finding the value(s) of x which minimise(s) ##y(x) =(a-x^2)^2 + bx^2##.

How’s your calculus/algebra?!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Delta2
Steve4Physics said:
How’s your calculus/algebra?!
Very difficult without it . However, a graph with chosen starting values with several points on it would give you a maximum value.
 
Steve4Physics said:
Hi @horserider37. I suspect you might benefit from a couple of hints.

To maximise ##A(\omega_d)## you need to find the value of ##\omega_d## which minimises the denominator in the RHS of your equation. For this purpose, the square root in the denominator can be ignored - do you see why?

So you need to find the value of ##\omega_d## which minimises
##(\omega_0^2-\omega_d^2)^2####+(\frac{\omega_0}{Q}\omega_d)^2##

If we use some different symbols, the problem can be more familiarly expressed as finding the value(s) of x which minimise(s) ##y(x) =(a-x^2)^2 + bx^2##.

How’s your calculus/algebra?!
My algebra/calculus is horrible, hence the issue I think! I still don't understand how to find what minimizes that
 
horserider37 said:
My algebra/calculus is horrible, hence the issue I think! I still don't understand how to find what minimizes that
Do you know at least how to take differentials? If so, when the denominator is at a minimum at a certain value of ##\omega_d## this means that $$d\left[\left(\omega_0^2-\omega_d^2\right)^2\right]+d\left[\left (\dfrac{\omega_0}{Q}\omega_d\right)^2\right]=0. $$
 
horserider37 said:
My algebra/calculus is horrible, hence the issue I think! I still don't understand how to find what minimizes that
As previously noted, the maths is equivalent to finding the value of x which minimises ##y(x) =(a-x^2)^2 + bx^2##

Note that all occurences of ##x## are in the form ##x^2## so we can let ##w = x^2## and ask the simpler question: what value of ##w## minimises ##y = (a-w)^2 + bw##?

Can you do that? You can do it with basic calculus or some algebra (completing the square). You will need to make an attempt and show your working - we are not going to do it for you!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Delta2
I got it! Thanks yall! I do *know* calculus, but I'm really bad with symbols and always overthink. I was severely complicating my derivatives lol, trying to make them much harder than they needed to be. Switching to a,b,c did the trick!
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: Steve4Physics and Delta2