Understanding resonance curve symbols and transmissibility

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter haisydinh
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Curve Resonance
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
haisydinh
Messages
24
Reaction score
0
Searching through Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Resonance.PNG), I found this graph about resonance. I do notice from the graph that as the driving frequency gets closer to the natural frequency of the system, the peaks of the curves (i.e. the amplitudes) of the curves increase. However, I don’t understand what the symbol δ stands for in the graph. Also, what does it mean by transmissibility? And finally, how can we generate this graph (I mean from what data?)

Thanks in advance!
 
Attachments
  • 1200px-Resonance.PNG
    1200px-Resonance.PNG
    30.8 KB · Views: 602
Physics news on Phys.org
δ is the damping factor.
When δ=0, the oscillations go on without attenuation.
When δ>0, the oscillation decrease in amplitude, for example because of friction in the system.
When δ<0, the system is unstable, due to an additional input of energy without external excitation.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person