1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Peeved about a simple Sample Mean question

1. Jul 20, 2013 #1
    Let X(bar)[sample mean] be the average of a sample of 16 independent normal random variables with mean 0 and variance 1. Determine c such that

P(|X(bar)| < c) = 0.5

Ok here's the problem, I know this is SUPPOSED to be a simple computation but for one reason or another little ol' fooliosh me can't figure it out.

Since we are dealing with X(bar) I figure it is defined as 1/n[itex]\sum[/itex](from 1 to n) Xi

now since we're talking abiout 16 independent Normal random variables, I figured it would be as easy as taking the sum of all of these normals and solving for x. Well according to the solution this isn't the case.

Another thing I tried was taking the product of the iid normals:

1/(2[itex]\pi[/itex][itex]\sigma2[/itex])1/2 e[itex]\sum[/itex](Xi2)/2

set this equal to 0.5 and solve for X. Again the wrong answer. Help please

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2013 #2

jbunniii

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

If
    $$Y = \frac{1}{N}\sum_{n=1}^{N} X_n$$
    then what can you say about ##Y##? What kind of random variable is it? What are its mean and variance?

4. Jul 20, 2013 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

You seem to be completely misunderstanding the problem! What you should be doing is using the theorem:

"The average of n random variable, each having normal distribution with mean [itex]\mu[/itex] and standard deviation [itex]\sigma[/itex], has the standard deviation with mean [itex]]\mu[/itex] and standard deviation [itex]\frac{\sigma}{\sqrt{n}}[/itex]. "

The problem is simply asking you to find c the probability of that "X" is less than c is 0.5 when X has the normal distribution with 0 and standard deviation 4. That can be done by looking up "z" such that P(z)< 0.5 on a table of the standard normal distribution
    (A good one online is at http://www.math.unb.ca/~knight/utility/NormTble.htm [Broken])
    and then solving [itex]\frac{x}{4}= z[/itex].

(You really shouldn't need a table to find z such that P(z)< 0.5!)
    (I say after looking it up in the table myself!!:redface:)

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  5. Jul 20, 2013 #4

Ok, I got the right solution, but I got it extremely flukey....Let me see if I make sense of it.

So looking at the table of the standard normal distribution, for the value of 0.5 I got a probability of 0.6915. Taking this 0.6915 I put it into the expression of [itex]\frac{x}{4}= z[/itex] and got a value of 0.1728 for z. A couple questions: the 0.6915 is the percentage in relation to the z-score of 0.5? and what exactly was the motivation behind dividing 0.6915 by 4? Sure the answer might be right but what was that expression representing?

Last edited by a moderator: May 6, 2017
  6. Jul 20, 2013 #5

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The sample mean ##\bar{X}## is normally distributed, has expected value = 0 and variance ##\sigma^2=16##, so has standard deviation ##\sigma = 4##. That is, we can write
    [tex] \bar{X} = \frac{Z}{\sigma} = \frac{Z}{4},[/tex]
    where ##Z \sim N(0,1).## So,
    [tex] P\{ |\bar{X}| < c \} = P\{ -c < \bar{X} < c \} = P\{-c < Z/4 < c\}.[/tex]

7. Jul 20, 2013 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The sample mean ##\bar{X}## is normally distributed, has expected value = 0 and variance ##\sigma^2=16##, so has standard deviation ##\sigma = 4##. That is, we can write
    [tex] \bar{X} = \sigma Z = 4 Z,[/tex]
    where ##Z \sim N(0,1).## So,
    [tex] P\{ |\bar{X}| < c \} = P\{ -c < \bar{X} < c \} = P\{-c < 4 Z < c\}.[/tex]

8. Jul 20, 2013 #7

ok, just to make sure this is a legitimate move I'm going to make we have established:
    [tex] P\{-c < 4 Z < c\}.[/tex] = 0.5

now looking at the tables, for a Standard Normal distribution, the value of "c" is satisfied by 0.6915.

Therefore: [tex] P\{-0.6915 < 4 Z < 0.6915\}.[/tex] = 0.5, but since this is not fully standardized I have to divide by the 4:

therefore:

[tex] P\{-0.6915/4 < Z < 0.6915/4\}.[/tex]

which gives me 0.1728. Is this the right set of steps?

9. Jul 20, 2013 #8

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Sorry: I meant that variance is 1/16 and ##\sigma = 1/4##. We have ##\bar{X} = \sigma Z = Z/4,## so the probability is ##P \{ -c < Z/4 < c \} = P \{ -4c < Z < 4c \}##.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  10. Jul 21, 2013 #9

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Your answer is 16 times too small.

11. Jul 21, 2013 #10

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Please disregard this message, and instead refer to the others I gave. I wanted to delete this message, but the system won't allow it. Basically, ##\bar{X} = 4 Z##, NOT what I wrote immediately above.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted